Room arrangement questions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Aug 18, 2016.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2016

It's been so long! Hope everyone is well!

I've been having a problem with my room. It is very long and narrow and I'd like to try to find a way to rearrange the layout so I don't have kids so far away from the front of the room. I don't like it a) because kids have trouble seeing, and b) it is hard for me to monitor the whole room, even while roaming around. Here is the room:

[​IMG]

This is from the back facing the front. I can't change the "front" of the room as that is the only whiteboard and where the smart board, computer, etc is all mounted. I have seven rows of tables going back plus the extra table. I could fit three tables across but it would be hard for me to move through the classroom. I often have the students work in groups of four for labs, etc.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2016

Could you do a pair of tables together (so 4 students across) on one side and one table, like you have them, on the other. That way you'd have 3 tables across but only one aisle.

4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 18, 2016

How about turning the tables and making them groups of four?

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2016

Oh that might work! Thanks!

I've thought of that but I don't like the idea of the students not facing the front of the room. I've seen it in other classrooms but never used it in one of mine. Have you used this configuration before? Do you find the students are more off task, or complain about having to turn to the front to take notes/watch videos/etc?

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2016

You can arrange your groups of 4 so that all have their sides to the front and it's pretty easy for them to just turn their heads a bit. I have tables in my room with 3 or 4 students at each and it works quite well.

teacherL likes this.
  7. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Aug 18, 2016

THIS. I have to do this in my room as well.

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2016

Right I was saying that the students aren't bothered by all being sideways? I use my board regularly and I worry about them being turned so much. Plus I can't say "face forward" when they're moving around! I also have worried about them being in groups causing them to be more talkative. I have good classroom management but I've always worried a bit about them being put in groups.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 18, 2016

I teach elementary so we do all learning on the carpet, but when I lead small groups I stand at the head of the table and they are all facing me sideways. I would think most kids are used to this setup nowadays.

10. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Aug 18, 2016

My room is exactly the opposite of yours - short and wide - but I have a similar problem. If push the desks all the way out to the edges of the room, kids can't see the board. Mine are sometimes in the sideways arrangement described above and they don't seem to really mind it. I do have to be pretty firm on the socializing but we do a lot of turn and talk and that kind of thing which helps. I also brought in a few individual desks and move kids if needed.

11. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2016

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

I went in today and set up the 3 tables across idea. I think it works really well. It also frees up space in the back of the room so I can have a second desk (I prefer to be behind the kids). I'm really excited and think it will be great!

Thanks again!

MrsC likes this.