Rock and soil unit ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snickydog, May 4, 2009.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 4, 2009

I'm trying to plan a two-week unit on rocks and soil for my first graders, and I'm running low on interesting ideas for the soil part. I was thinking that the students could put soil in a jar of water, shake it and observe how it settles; observe what is in a soil sample (twigs, rocks, etc). Does anyone have other ideas that are more interesting than mine? :)

3. KateL

KateL Habitué

May 5, 2009

The jar idea is good, but first you should give the students some experiences with what they're going to see in the jar. Give them samples of sand, silt, and clay and have them make observations. Which one is the roughest? Which one has the largest pieces? Even before this, though, give them some sandstones to rub together so they can see that sand comes from larger rocks. They can look at the grains of sand under a magnifying glass to see that they are really just very tiny rocks.

You could also have them dig for soil in different areas of the school yard so they can see that soil isn't always the same. Have them compare soil under a tree, in a flower bed, and on the playground. Kids love digging in the dirt!

4. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 5, 2009

Having them investigate first is a great idea! I'm not a gardener - can you find the silt and clay at a garden place like Home Depot?

5. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

May 5, 2009

You could have them pour water down the soil like a river.