Rock and Roll Theme

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Issa, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Issa

Issa Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

Hello! I teach 1st grade and I always to a theme for back to school. This year I want to do a Rock and Roll theme. Does anyone have any good ideas for decorating....bulletin boards, classroom, etc.

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 11, 2008

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2008

I don't really have any decorating ideas other than posters - maybe cutouts from fanzine.

But here are some music ideas. I'm a big punk rock fan. What I like to do us play songs during clean up time or whenever I have a task that takes 2-3 minutes. If it requires a shift of task, sometimes I use two songs. I like punk because the songs clock at around 2-3 minutes. Also, any punk songs that are free of profanity generally have lyrics that are acceptable for children. Here are some of my favorites

"What a Wonderful World" by Joey Ramone. He re-did the Louis Armstrong classic shortly before he died. What's cool is that the Louis Armstrong version was used in the film Madagascar, and the kids will point that out to you if you play it.

The Ramones also did a cover of the Spiderman theme song. It's very short - less than two minutes.

REM's "The End of the World as We Know It" is longer, but they will recognize that song from the film Chicken Little.

Green Day is a band that manages to put the F-word into nearly every one of their songs. But they have two really good instrumentals. One is a surf tune called "Last Ride In." The other is called "Espionage" and it sort of has a Duane Eddy guitar riff to it. First graders will claim it's from the soundtrack to Spy Kids, but I don't think it is.

Just about anything by The Arcade Fire is good too. "Wake Up" they might recognize background music for some televised sporting events.

The best part is watching six year olds play air guitar.

5. Issa

Issa Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

Thank you for the ideas!

6. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 11, 2008

How about creating a bulletin board in the shape of a guitar with giant notes coming off of it. If you plan on keeping it up a while you can post student work on the notes :).

Name tags on their desk in the shape of drums.

Stars on the walk of fame with their names on it...

If you have lamps in your room maybe replacing a bulb or two with colored ones.

7. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 11, 2008

I've seen lots of Rock and Roll decorations at Party Supply Stores!

8. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Jul 12, 2008

If you google Beth Newingham, she did a rock and roll theme two years ago. On her website you will see class themes, click on that. She is above and beyond, you will get amazing ideas from her!

9. Issa

Issa Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

I love the guitar bulletin board idea. Thank you everyone for the great ideas and helpful websites!