RICA struggles

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Anny, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Anny

Anny Rookie

Nov 15, 2017

Hi! I've been utilizing this forum since CSET: MS days, and have been using it to help with the RICA for some time now.

I received my scores today, and I was 7 points short of passing.
    My score is as follows:

Planning +++
    Word analysis ++
    Fluency ++
    Vocabulary academic Lang ++
    Comprehension +++
    Case study ++ (Describe instructional strategy/activity)

Do you think my score is worth contesting my points over? If I was 1-3 points away, I probably would think about it, but 7??? I don't know......

I am running out of time and energy.

I was so sure that I was going to pass this time. I studied harder for this test than I have studied in anything in my life. I will say that I was a bit preoccupied with some events in my life that stressed me out, but I always tried to bring back the focus to studying. I also thought I used a lot of buzzwords, but something must not have been strong enough. How do I use more buzzwords? I have a flash card full of vocabulary, and am wondering if I should add some more words. If so, what should I add?

I've always been strong in Planning and Comprehension, whereas the other three, I'll receive +++ once in a blue moon on one of those areas. The results on the Case Study is always the same: Describe the activity/strategy. I had an a-ha moment where I finally understood what that meant, but while reading sample essays, I became confused all over again.

My resolution is this: I either focus my energy on raising my score on the three weak content areas or find out and focus on how to describe an activity, whatever that means. The problem is, how do I go about doing this? I studied the Cliffnotes book, took the two practice tests, and then found the areas I needed to study. I then used the Zarillo and Boosalis books. How can I study and raise my scores for the middle three content areas?!?! Also, I just need a concrete, step-by-step explanation on how to describe my activity. I thought I did that using the strengths and/or weaknesses I listed on the Identify part, but something did not go right. I've read many sample essays and tried to find a common link, but they all seem so different! (Or I didn't look as hard as I thought I did.) What do they mean by "describe"?!?! Do I give a step-by-step guide on helping my student with an activity/strategy and then DESCRIBING what that activity is? There were some samples where they listed three-four steps on what they would do...is that what I need to do because I've been doing that!

AH!!! I am more confused than ever and I may not even be making sense!! I am very close to my wit's end. I know the teacher path is my path despite family members thinking I should move on because my past RICA failures might be a sign..... I know this is my path because I've been working in schools for a very long time, and if I thought this wasn't my path, I think something other than a test would have told me that. I do feel I am burning out, but only because I know I'm capable of being a teacher, and it frustrates me that I can't be one because a test tells me so. I'm sorry, I just really needed to vent my frustration.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 16, 2017

Describing the instructional strategy or activity means showing how it works in this case, for someone who knows about reading instruction. If you're explaining a word sort, you don't talk through the word sort the way you would for a parent - but you show a selection of the words that are involved and you make it clear what it is that the student is supposed to get out of the word sort.

I see you're coming up short on word analysis. Analyze for me the word "speeches". Feel free to riffle through your flashcards to come up with buzzwords. I want to see a reasonably full paragraph, written as you would write it for RICA.

4. efrain barajas

efrain barajas New Member

Jul 12, 2018

Feedback was -describing instructional strategies and/or activities.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018