Rewards for 8th graders

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by kimberd, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 7, 2008

esfgirl - I am doing some what of the same thing this year as well. The only difference is that I am going to have the kids start with $10 a week. Last year I found it hard and time consuming to hand out tickets each day and sometimes I forgot because it gets so busy. I think it will be easier for me to take the tickets away as a negative incident happens. I am also going to have them keep track of their earnings and debits in a check book. Good real life practice. That way they can also keep track of how they are loosing tickets, and what they are using them for.
    Instead of the late hw pass, I did a 1/2 hw pass, 5 or 10 min of free time on Friday (Friday is our review day), mystery box (there will be a prize in there,I will not tell them what it is but I will give them clues) then I will do a drawing and I will also do an estimation jar. I have more, but it's to much to write.

2. JMUteacher

JMUteacher Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

Sometimes the best things are free

I was in the same boat last year, I wanted to give them something but since I was still in college my budget was highly limited. I found that giving them some free rewards, letting them go to lunch a whole 3 minutes before the rest of the class went down (they got more time at lunch with such a long line). Homework passes are big, letting them listen to the radio during group work or individual work if they let me get through a tough topic. A big one was letting them sit at my desk if they did all their homework for two weeks! Of course I cleaned it up (what a task!) but they got to sit in a comfortable chair and spread out for 45 minutes. I'll definitely use this one again.

3. villageteacher

villageteacher Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

I do a thing called Fun Friday. That works in conjuction with Duran Dollars (my last name is Duran). So, every month, at the beginning, I put the words FUN FRIDAY on the board for every class. Everytime I have to redirect the class and they don't listen, a letter comes off. If, at the end of the month, they have at least one letter, the class gets to have a Fun Friday (game day, craft day, outside, etc.) I also open the Duran Dollar Store during Fun Friday and the kids get to redeem their duran dollars for things like erasers, free homework passes, bathroom passes, reading area time, candy bars (small ones they get at the end of the day), etc. They get Duran Dollars for random things. For example, I might surprise them one day and give one out to everyone who turns in an assignment on time, for being kind to someone, etc. They kids have responded really well for the past couple of years. I even had some new 8th graders that said, "You're Ms. Duran, right? My brother/sister had you and said you have Fun Fridays and give out Duran Dollars." It works! email me and I'll give you more information. missjenniferduranatyahoodotcom

4. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Aug 22, 2008

I do "Bring your own Junk Food" It doesn't cost me anything and the kids like having the priviledge of being to eat/drink in class. We call it "Junk Food Friday!"