Reward Ideas...

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by teach2020, Apr 10, 2008.

1. teach2020

teach2020 Rookie

Apr 10, 2008

I am currently giving my students good behavior tickets which they may redeem at the end of the week. I was wondering if anyone else is doing this... and if so if they have any ideas for items that I could "sell" to them that would cost little or no money. I have pencils and pens (usually 5 to 10 tickets)... eat lunch in classroom for 15... was thinking about no homework pass?? Ideas are apprectiated.

Thanks...

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2008

I asked my kids what they would like that would not cost much money. Many of the things they have are specific to my school, but they can earn a bag of chips, homework pass, candy treat (fun size). I'm sure they can give you a ton of ideas.

4. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Apr 10, 2008

I have the same type of system. They can buy a sweet treat, homework pass, treasure box and free computer time.

5. teal

teal Rookie

Apr 10, 2008

We do a auction before all the holiday breaks. The kids love it. They bring in one or two items they want to auction off. It is amazing how much weird things go for. They always want to save and earn money. They do not get to participate unless they have at least $10. We have 3 classes participating so there are lots of items and they keep begging for the next one. The great thing is that it doesn't cost me anything. I have a class store with lots but they all are saving.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 10, 2008

I love Teal's idea! We sell ice cream passes in the cafeteria and I always put a few of them in my treasure box for kids to earn. One thing that you can do with an older class is to let them come up with the ideas. Have a short brainstorm session and list the ideas on the board. You can explain that they have to cost little or no money and you can veto anything you don't agree with. You might be surprised what they come up with and you will know that they will like it.

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2008

I like teals idea, too. We did that when I was in the 6th grade. It was always a lot of fun. And my teachers tied it in to a Middle Ages unit. What class you were depended on how many bucks you had left. I had lots of money, so I was in the noble class.

8. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 10, 2008

gumball from the gumball machine.

Items from Oriental Trading.

9. graysea_10

graysea_10 Rookie

Apr 15, 2008

An idea I recently read is to allow the students to go to the teachers' lounge and get a soda from the machine or a snack. It would depend on factors of your school, but that would be a reward in itself, just to go up there!

10. catholicteacher

catholicteacher New Member

Apr 15, 2008

I also use tickets and have a menu of prizes to choose from. My class this year has enjoyed the following prizes:candy - 5 tickets, prize box or homework pass - 10 tickets, lunch in the room or sit with a friend - 15 tickets,and sit at the teacher desk( which means getting to also sit on the cushioned,twirly chair :) )-20 tickets. In the beginning of the year I asked parents for donations of prize box items as well as candy and the parents responded very generously so that I've not had to spend much money of my own. More often than not my students will use tickets for the nontangible rewards.

11. merusse

merusse New Member

Apr 15, 2008

In one of my clinicals, my teacher used this same system. I remember one reward was to each lunch with the teacher, one was to move their desk next to a friend (those two were the BIG ones). The small prizes (for 5 tickets, I think) was to pick stuff out of a treasure box. It basically was stuff from Oriental Trading...pencils, Tootsie Roll Pops were the BIG hit (teacher's rule was it couldn't leave her classroom), etc.

12. teach2020

teach2020 Rookie

Apr 16, 2008

Thanks...

For all of your wonderful ideas... The students have also come up with some good ideas as well. The second problem I'm having is managing ticket redemption.... when do I do this? Fridays?? They get kind of nuts... and not sure how to manage them... ('cause I'm new... and classroom management is still a weakness)

13. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 16, 2008

What ideas did your students come up with? Please share.

14. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Apr 17, 2008

I did something simiar with my 5th graders. I had: pens, pencils, erasers, crayons, colored pencils, markers, highlighters, treasure box, treat jar, puzzle book (they were $1 at the dollar store and I always had at least 1 sudoku and 1 word find), a book (I'd get books from Scholastic and keep them around for this purpose), a computer game (again, I'd order from scholastic's click and keept around), no homework pass, and a school spirit wear teeshirt (of course this cost the most).

15. beckywithasmile

beckywithasmile Rookie

Apr 18, 2008

I've observed teachers who only allowed redemption on days when students are helpers or put responsible students in charge of redemption.

16. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Apr 18, 2008

Here's a website with a long list of ideas

A List of Reward Ideas-A List of Reward Ideas, Effort has been given to provide a combination of reward ideas suited for both primary and intermediate students.
    http://www.canteach.ca/elementary/classman2.html

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 18, 2008

The priveledge of wearing no shoes in class

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 19, 2008

Helping plan a lesson
    Choice of craft project
    Eat with teacher
    Have a hat day, crazy clothes day, sport jersey day
    Books (get from Scholastic with points)

We used to do an auction at the end of the year, but it didn't work too well. I always have a goodie box in my room and they earn selections in various ways. I purchase very low-priced items. I am constantly on the lookout for them.

19. cmw

cmw Groupie

Apr 19, 2008

When I taught 4th I used something similar to this this.

5 tickets- spin from gumball machine
    15 tickets- sit by a friend, treasure box (items from Party City and Dollar store work great - 10-15 cents an item)
    20 tickets - homework pass, 5% on a test pass, 10 minutes freetime pass (they usually redeemed it for computer time durin SSR)

:)

20. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Apr 19, 2008

Are all of these rewards necessary? I show a random movie every once in a while, but I don't believe in all of this reward business.

21. allyd

allyd Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

Free Rewards!

I use these rewards for a Winter Raffle and other times throughout the year I use them with reward tickets.

Lunch with the Teacher
    Teacher Eats in the Cafeteria
    Conference Room Luncheon with Friends
    Trade Seats for the Day
    Trade Seats with the Teacher for the Day (Be dramatic and really complain about it when they use it. The students think it is great to make me sit in their seat. I take all of my stuff with me and place a namecard on the teacher's desk.)
    Teacher's Assistant for the Week
    Indoor Recess Pass
    Free Gum Chewing Pass for the Day
    Skip Morning Work Pass
    Theme Day Pass
    Sit at the Work Table with a Friend for the Day

These ones are huge but OH so powerful:
    Cancel Homework for the Entire Class
    Call an Extra Recess Pass
    These cost a huge amount of tickets if I offer it. It is great when the "underdog" student wins the homework pass and cancels for everyone.
    I will also occassionally offer a catered luncheon pass for them and a friend. I will bring the lunch for that day and of course offer them dessert or soda with it!