retired teacher garage sale

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sevenplus, Aug 16, 2008.

1. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2008

If your district doesn't do this, I highly recommend trying to get one started. In August my district has a retired teacher garage sale. I mark it on my calendar every year and absolutely love it. Picture table after table of teaching supplies at garage sale prices.

I spent a total of $15 dollars today. Some of the things I bought (I can't remember all of them and haven't unloaded the car):

18 clipboards (25 cents each)

hand pointer ($1) - I've seen the same thing in stores for $4

overhead projector dice ($1)

caddies for my tables (25 cents each)

2 games for indoor recess

a big bag of some kind of snap-together manipulatives - not sure what they're called but they look like they will be fun

a dozen or so books - I was really selective about these and mostly got some math-related picture books

2 matching/puzzle games - one is rhyming and the other is CVC words

If I didn't have my 3-year-old with me I would have stayed a lot longer and gotten a lot more. As it was, he lasted about an hour and a half in a very crowded room and I was very proud of him. Then he went to Teacher Appreciation Day at Staples with me. Whew! Busy morning!

3. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

Our union has a "New Teacher Flea Market" during our new teacher induction program. The new teachers get to go through items donated from other teachers in the district and take whatever they want at no charge. This was a huge boon for me my first year!

4. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

Great ideas!

5. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 16, 2008

Those sound like great ideas!! One teacher had a retirement sale a few years back and I really cleaned up!! :) So much good stuff!! :)