Retention in Second- ADVICE Please!!!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by ehlertmg28, Aug 7, 2015.

1. ehlertmg28

ehlertmg28 Rookie

Aug 7, 2015

Hey friends,

Need some advice. Last year when i taught second I had two sweet children who struggled in all subject areas. I worked so hard with both students, their parents and our administration to get them where they needed to be. They both attended summer school but still not make the gains they needed and the desicion was made to habe them repeat second grade.

I was surprised to see they were both again put them on my roster for this year. My principal told me she did it on purpose since I know their skill level well. I was surprised and not sure how I feel about it. I don't want them to be bored or feel like their doing the same thing. Any advice on having the same student two years in a row would be great! I have changed a few things in my room to make it feel different but not sure how to tackle it. Thanks for all your insight!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2015

My situation is a little different because I teach SPED and my kids stay with me for years. If you like the children, I agree with your P. I think they will have an opportunity to grow at a faster pace because you are already familiar with their skills. You can also make a big thing about them being helpers to the other students because they are familiar with you and your style.

This can be a really positive experience for these children.

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Aug 7, 2015

And at least they will have each other! I think that'll help them feel a little better about being held back

5. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 7, 2015

I had this happen when I taught second grade as well. The parent didn't mind her kid being left back but she didn't want me as her teacher again. Mind you I had this student in K and 2nd. I wasn't her mom's biggest fan either, parent who made lots of excuses. Her child was behind in K, but by the time she came to 2nd she was too far behind. I only had her for half of her second time in 2nd and even though she was seeing some of the same lessons the second time she started to "get it" and I was extremely proud at how hard she worked. It's easier to pinpoint what a student who has been left behind needs the second time around if you've had them before. It's not a bad thing for them to see the same exact material twice, it may give them confidence if they remember it.

6. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Aug 7, 2015

We automatically kept the students we retained for the very reason your principal gave, unless the parents requested another room.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 11, 2015

Well, the research says that your P made the wrong decision. Holding back students has a low rate of success, and if a P holds a student back, it is recommended to put that student in a different classroom.

What is done is done. I think you have to roll up your sleeves and find a way to make this tough situation work. Good luck to you.

8. smoothrunnin

smoothrunnin Rookie

Sep 11, 2015

Second time just as much fun!

I agree with readingrules12. Retention does not help a child. Teachers need to program for students who are working at different levels. The two students you have for the second time will probably be fine in your class for round two as they most likely missed many of the key concepts. Learning is fun and they will enjoy it just as much second time round.

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 13, 2015

I agree retention is rarely the right solution, but I say pick up where you left off with them. You should have data for your strategies and more time to use them. That's a silver lining.

We just had a kid in another class who was dropped to first. I don't know all the details, but the gist was he not only didn't have the skills, he had not attended a full year's worth of school during kinder or first combined. In his case as far as what I know, sending him back to learn skills he never had the opportunity to learn was best... and a far cry from the reteaching retention tends to be.