Retention in preschool ages 2 to 5?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Pre-K Teacher 1, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Nov 25, 2006

How do you feel about retention in preschool for children ages 2 - 5 years old? What is the policy of your school?

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2006

Depends on the situation and the school/center.

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2006

I'm against it. I mean, at that age, kids vary widely in their developmental abilities, and, in my opinion, a good preschool is equipped to handle that difference. The smartest idea is to have classrooms where the age range is fluid...and kids can be placed with peers who are on the same developmental level as they are. However, as kids are entering Kdg, that's a different story, because the expectations are so standardized, and there is almost a certain competitiveness...you want your child to be able to BE competetive with his/her peers.

I teach public school PreK, and we have a no-repeat policy. Kids can go to our Kdg, or they can move to another PK for the following year, but we are an age-only program, and we don't have kids who are older (or younger) than the required birth year.
    Kim

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2006

I should also add that the word "retention" for this age is kind of hard to swallow and harsh. But that's just my opinion. I guess for me, it depends on what you mean by retention for this age. It almost seems kind of weird to even use that word for this age group.

6. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Nov 27, 2006

I don't like Retention in Preschool

I agree with you. Kindergarten is so different from when I was there and even in the last few years I have seen such a big change in the academic requirements of kindergarten. I feel when we retain in preschool where there is less focus on "academics" in the sense that there is in kindergarten and beyond we, take away the opportunity that some children need to adjust to this specific type of academic focused environment.