resume on 2 pages?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kbg27, Feb 25, 2009.

1. kbg27

kbg27 Rookie

Feb 25, 2009

What do you do when your resume is two pages long? I've heard that it is not good to print it double-sided. Do you staple it? Do you just hand in the two sheets together? If yes, then how do you makes sure the two sheets stay together? I have a job fair in a few days so would like to figure out the best way to print out my resume.

THANKS!:)

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 25, 2009

Mine is two pages and when I was applying for jobs I would just mail/hand out the two pages next to each other but not clipped or stapled. I also wouldn't print it double sided. I suppose half could get lost, but then again, so could a single page resume so it's nothing I worried about.

Good luck at the job fair :).

4. palla

palla Companion

Feb 25, 2009

I staple mine together. I wouldn't put the second page on the backside.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2009

:agreed:

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2009

Wait, you're student teaching?

Unless you're a career changer, I say get it onto one page. Two pages will look like you're padding too much.

My last resume was a page and a half. I had 20 years of teaching experience, including about 6 as department chair.

The two resumes before that (entering the profession and after 7 years) were single page resumes.

7. kbg27

kbg27 Rookie

Feb 25, 2009

I have my resume posted in another thread I made(resume help) I dont really know what I would take out of it to make it only one page, its basically two full pages long. If you wanna look at it and tell me if you have any advice that would be great!

8. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Feb 25, 2009

I don't have any teaching experience yet either and mine is one and a half pages long. I have worked in the school system before though. At the last job fair I was at I noticed that most people that had two page resumes had them stapled. I have my resume along with my test scores, reference letters and transcripts all put together in a nice presentation folder.

9. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para!

Feb 26, 2009

I am also looking for resume help. A friend of mine sent me her resume and it was front and back-sided.

I read on a resume-help message board to copy the two pages side-by-side onto 11 x 17 paper, then fold it in half and put a nice-looking front on it (name, contact information). Personally, I think that's silly and cumbersome for the people looking through all the resumes.

Anyone else ever heard of this idea? Used it?

10. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Feb 26, 2009

I have never heard of doing that. I would think it would be easier for the people looking at resumes to just have it stapled rather than having to open up a folded sheet of paper to get to your resume.

11. smalltowngal

Feb 26, 2009

DO NOT print it out front and back. I have heard too many people say that it doesn't get looked at.

I put my cover letter, resume, philosophy, copy of certification in a nice presentation folder like another poster mentioned. If you are just handing out resumes, I would suggest stapling them together.

12. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Feb 26, 2009

I am glad that I read this forum....I have 2 pages to my resume and I was told to print them front and back not on 2 seperate pages......

I just bought my resume paper and was going to print a bunch....I will email my Aunt who is an HR manager and get her take on this.... :confused:

13. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 26, 2009

:hijack:

Can you imagine? A person's entire chance at a job, thrown out the window because they did the horrific thing of saving a tree and making their resume front and back. I print mine out as 2 separate pages and it kills me because it is SUCH a waste of paper, and I am certain most people who get it will not be recycling it when it's use is up. So much for going green. Not to mention that resume paper is EXPENSIVE.

I'm sorry, those little things make me crazy. You hear so many things about how hiring personnel decide which resumes to read and which to chuck for such nonsense reasons. It's all about playing the game, but I do not like it.

Phew, okay off the soap box. To the OP, I send out 2 pages, not stapled or clipped, with my cover letter on top.

14. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 26, 2009

Let us know what she says, please!

15. smalltowngal

Feb 26, 2009

I know what you mean TeacherGrl. I do buy recycled printing paper though for my regular printing.

16. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 26, 2009

Same here. We do what we can, right? :)

17. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Feb 26, 2009

Mine has been two pages since the get go. I need to update it. But with my undergrad, we did a lot of teaching before student teaching, and it got me hired 3 monthes after I graduated college.

At the top of my second page, I have my last name (page 2)
    When I first started off, I had to do a lot of text size, font wiggle room to get it all to fit!

18. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Feb 26, 2009

I would say 2 pages is about right and definately don't double side it. Unfortnately image is everything.

19. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Feb 27, 2009

My resume is 2 pages and I've been subbing only this year and have student taught. I believe that to make me more marketable I need to show my other relevant experience and the teaching methods/strategies that I'm currently using. I'm beginning to think that getting an interview is a crap shoot, there are so many people and so few jobs right now.

20. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2009

HR in my district just strongly suggested to only do a one page resume. He said that a one page resume will more likely be read by very busy administration.

21. K-5Teacher

K-5Teacher Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

I have two but the second page info is minor (more on previous career & teaching at church experiences). I make sure the important information is on the front. I was also told by the head of HR in one district to include a list of reference names and numbers as a third page when going to Job Fairs. It saves them time from looking up your application online if they are interested in you. Not sure how many actually look at it - but I have kept it and had a few compliment the idea at job fairs (am sure others weren't impressed with the three page document).