Resume Advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms.Holyoke, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Dec 30, 2017

I am working on my resume and I am having trouble figuring out what to write my bullet points for my pre-practicum experience. My program supervisor is asking for a resume draft from us soon. I have not done my student teaching yet but I will be student teaching in the same classroom as I did my pre-practicum in. In my pre-practicum, I observed teaching methods and assisted students during independent work. I also planned, taught and reflected on four lessons.

This is what I have so far for my bullet points under my pre-practicum experience:
    -Observed and assisted in an 8th Grade math classroom
    -Supported student learning during individual work and group work using questioning strategies
    -Designed, implemented, and reflected upon four lessons to facilitate mathematical understanding

I am also including my subbing experience on my resume and this is what I have so far:
    -Implemented lesson plans left by the classroom teacher in a variety of subjects in K-8 classrooms
    -Effectively managed classrooms and set clear behavioral expectations for students

If anyone has any suggestions for improvement I would be very grateful!!

3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Dec 31, 2017

Bump

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2017

I'm afraid to ask - is this the resume they will be encouraging you to send out to job openings when you graduate? We have seen some of those through the years with people wondering how to tweak them to land more interviews. My own post a while back told of my son using just such an "approved" resume when applying for jobs upon graduation. When I finally got my hands on it when job offers did not materialize, I was shocked and angry that the university would send beginning teachers into the job market with such a document.

I personally have my resume written by a professional resume writer. I have my resume revised any time I add a certificate or endorsement. I paid to have my son's written, and the next hiring season he had multiple interviews. There are buzzwords that change season to season, that will catch the eye of HR or the principal. You have less than a minute to catch to eye, before becoming a "No interview".

I admit that all student teachers are going to share many of the same experiences. What have you done that makes you different? Any PD, any optional classes that you took that may make you a superior candidate? Any extracurricular activities that demonstrate leadership or organizational expertise? When you talk about subbing, any specific age/content that you excelled in? I did note good use of the verbs, but dig a little deeper yet and go for some of the verbs that denote HOTS.

This is harder than it looks, and time consuming. Now you know why I pay to have my resume written. I read their efforts, and if something sounds weak or awkward, I tell them that and send it back for revisions - until they get it right. I can recognize superlative writing, perhaps even create it, but I struggle to know all of current terminology/buzzwords that are eye catchers, the terminology that screams "interview worthy" to those people making those seconds long decisions of who to interview, who to ignore.

Since I was an AR teacher, I can't give a lot of advice on the pre-practicum portion. My son, however, was a music major, who took extra courses that provided experience the vast majority of new graduates didn't have. He had also worked with HS students who were part of his school's annual band festival, and learned about everything that goes into running such a festival, having worked in every aspect over his five years. Participating was not mandatory, so it gave him experience working with high school students and their directors that few students could build on.

Look for these unique skills and how you put yourself out there to acquire these skills outside of the classroom. Best of luck.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Dec 31, 2017

This is the resume that we will send to prospective employers this spring. We haven't completed our student teaching yet so we do not have that filled in yet. I modeled my resume after the examples they sent us, but I personally did not feel like the examples were as strong as I wanted to make my resume. I have not sent in a resume for them to check yet.

In subbing, I excelled in middle school and one of my strengths was reflecting on my practice to improve the next time. I did feel like I got much better at subbing over a short period of time and that I got to practice classroom management skills. I was also able to think flexibly throughout the day in order to adapt to a variety of situations.

The example resumes for my pre-practicum talk a lot of about observing/assisting. Should I discuss specific ways that I assisted students? I tried to think about ways that I assisted students and incorporated questioning strategies in my resume to explain this. Would you recommend more detail/specifics or different verbs than observed/assisted?

I have attended a math conference with some people in my program, but I'm not sure if this would go in my resume. For my pre-practicum, I did go the extra mile by planning lessons that I taught when most of my classmates taught lessons that their mentors prepared. A lot of this had to do with my mentor giving me the opportunity to do so. I also facilitated one small group discussion and one whole class discussion. Should I include this as a bullet point? I'm having trouble figuring out how specific to be. I also anticipate that my student teaching experience will be that part of my resume with the most substance.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2017

Will the math conference show up in a way that influences how you think/plan/teach that subject? If so, highlight what you took away from that conference that is special, unique, or creates a different mind-set that you didn't have before. If you look at the verbs suggested in Danielson that indicate those higher order thinking skills, you may find better words than observed/assisted or at least you may find a better way to tell how your assistance truly benefited your students. Just a thought.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2017

Utilized all areas of teaching to include observation, hands-on learning, curriculum implementation, and grading of coursework.

Analyzed .....performance and furnished recommendations to promote academic improvement

Established and enforced classroom rules ....implemented behavior modification plans.

Modified general education curriculum for special needs students based on a variety of instructional techniques and technologies.

Some concrete examples from Substitute Teaching, which developed as a classroom teacher.
    I am mostly using these as examples of how something that seems simple almost always has several components in it. The longer you teach/sub, the more of these correlations can be made.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 31, 2017

I'm not sure if this is the case for you, but when I was in college they had us do TONS of field experiences. I felt it looked better to list all of my experiences to show how I'd spent time in many different grade levels and settings (I think I'd done something like 9 field experiences prior to student teaching) rather than listing bullet points for just the longest field experiences. Otherwise my resume would have been more than one page, which at least at the time, was frowned upon for someone just starting out.

I just listed mine under some sort of "field experience" heading like this:

3rd Grade Math, ABC Elementary School, 6 weeks
    2nd Grade Reading, XYZ Elementary School, 8 weeks
    1st Grade Reading and Science, DEF Elementary School, 12 weeks

You get the idea!

I listed bullet points for my actual student teaching and other actual jobs I'd held that were relevant to teaching, like being a swim instructor and a camp counselor.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Jan 1, 2018

Thanks vickilyn! This is very helpful. I looked up the verbs that you suggested and I will use them to revise my resume.

Do you think a bullet point that starts with "Observed and assisted in a ______ classroom" isn't strong enough? This was a majority of my pre-practicum so I think it is important to include in my resume. I could expand on observed and talk about the specific ways that I observed/reflected on my observations.

10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Jan 1, 2018

I really like this idea! I am in my masters program now so I only had one pre-practicum this year. However, I had 3 pre-practicums in college in early elementary, middle school, and high school. I didn't get my teaching certification in my undergrad because I didn't have time to student teach. I emailed my program to see if I should also include these field experiences in my resume. I had a field experience in 6th grade so it might be good to include that to show that I have experience in younger middle school grades as well. I am applying to teach middle school so my middle school field experience would be useful.

My pre-practicum is in the same classroom as my student teaching. So, once my student teaching is done, I'm worried that these two parts of my resume will be too similar. Also, at what point in your student teaching did you fill out the student teaching section of your resume?

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Jan 1, 2018

Here are my modified bullet points for my pre-practicum. Does anyone have any feedback? I tried to change the verbs and be more specific. Thank you so much!

-Observed a variety of teaching methods in an 8th Grade math classroom
    -Conducted small group and individual activities
    -Planned and implemented four lessons to meet math content objectives and facilitate mathematical understanding
    -Facilitated whole class discussions where students shared their understandings and responded to each other’s thinking

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2018

I like these bullet points much better. Way to go! In that third selection, would assessed work instead of facilitate? Assessment is vital to what every teacher does, and it prevents redundancy in the next selection.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Jan 1, 2018

I think that would work! Thank you for catching that & for all of your help. I've sent a draft of my resume to my program supervisor and I hope I will be able to finalize it soon!

14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Jan 1, 2018

Another question...how long should a resume be for a new teacher? Right now, I only have teaching experiences on my resume. I have my student teaching, pre-practicum, subbing, and a summer teaching job. It will likely be 1 1/4 pages. Do you think I should try to get it down to one page?

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2018

As a starting teacher, you will probably want it to be a page. Once it has everything that is going to be in it, you will start to play with templates and consolidation/removal of redundancy. That will probably get you to your one page. My resume is longer - I have earned 2 master's degrees, SPED endorsement, and obtained 7 certificates, and attended a lot of PD as multi-day workshops. Now when my resume is revised, I consolidate the older stuff, let the education talk for itself, and I focus on the most important skills I bring to the job I desire. Trust me - your own resume will evolve over time. You are simply at the beginning. Best of luck!

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 2, 2018

I put in my student teaching portion for my resume as soon as it was time to start applying for jobs. In that area (I live somewhere else now), that was around April. My program had us all go to a big job fair in mid-April, so we had to have everything in order by then. I also put something like "license expected June 2010" and listed that I'd passed all of my required praxis exams. Then I just updated that when I actually had my teaching license in hand.

Everything I've heard suggests that your resume should be one page. Especially if yours is only 1 and 1/4 pages, it seems like it should be easy enough to cut that down.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  17. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Jan 4, 2018

Thanks waterfall! Right now, I have four experiences on my resume including student teaching (which I will fill in next month) , pre-prac, substitute teaching, and summer program teacher. I feel like all of these experiences are relevant, but I am not sure. Do you think I should cut one of them? I might just need to explore other formats to try to fit it into one page.

18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 4, 2018

My resume out of school was two pages. If it’s warranted, go to a 2nd page. If it’s stuff that can be cut, cut it.

I’m still using a resume sample that I got from a professor in my BA program. He was a retired administrator who hired teachers as a school leader. I still remember how giddy he was when describing the format to us. It’s changed here and there over the years but the basic structure never has. I get tons of interviews whenever I’m looking.

Just don’t go to the general jobs office at your college. They have no idea what education resumes should look like. I went once and they made it into something that appeared like I was applying to work as a receptionist at a bank.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2018

That's really not enough experience to warrant a second page. Maybe post a redacted copy of it here and we can help tweak?

20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Jan 4, 2018

I will post a copy tonight! I would like for it to be one page since it is only that one experience that makes it go over.

21. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 4, 2018

I would still list all of your experiences, just maybe cut some bullet points to make it all fit on one page. I can't see a pre-practicum experience really warranting a ton of information, for example. You can also try messing with different fonts and spacing options. Some fonts take up more space than others, and you can also try shortening the margins or putting some of your info in the margins. For example, on mine I have my name and contact info in what is technically the "header" space and instead of taking up center space with headings, I put those in the left hand margin. I also have never had a resume that listed an objective. IMO, when applying to teaching jobs your objective is obvious and doesn't need to be listed.