Results of Global Study on School Choice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tyler B., Nov 10, 2017.

1. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Nov 10, 2017

This Global Education Monitoring Report contains this chilling sentence about choice policies:
    . . . they benefit wealthier schools, families and communities, increasing inequality and segregation.

"Choice" turns out to benefit children from wealthier families and increase inequalities and undermine quality education for poorer students.

This choice movement started with George W. Bush, was pushed forward by Obama and now is going full throttle with Trump despite all the evidence that it's not producing expected outcomes. All political parties are to blame by not keeping an eye on the consequences of this harmful policy.

anon55 and Secondary Teach like this.
  3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Nov 10, 2017

Didn't we just have this debate? Where's futuremathsprof to argue with you? ;)

I agree though, these policies are paraded around like they're going to help struggling, poorer students, but I haven't really been convinced that they do.

Tyler B. likes this.
  4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Nov 10, 2017

Actually, I said that public options should be emphasized on the whole, but alternatives should be made in certain instances when needs of underperforming students are not being met at “failing schools.” Again, I am not saying anything about the teachers in said schools, I am speaking to the lack of scholastic achievement. It is largely a cultural thing. My belief is that if students who are at-risk are removed from their less than desirable surroundings and put in a more structured setting, then they will flourish.

I actually support public schools a lot — I am a product of the public schooling system.

Backroads likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Nov 10, 2017

In the article, it says “vouchers sometimes work, but not always.”

It then goes on to say:

“When education is not free, financial constraints can affect the ability to choose schools. School vouchers offer funds to families to help them overcome these constraints to choose schools more freely and therefore foster competition among schools. Targeted vouchers have had success in some contexts; for example, among low income recipients in New York, vouchers have had a significant positive impact on college enrolment and degree attainment by minority students. In Sindh province, Pakistan, enrolment levels increased by 30 percentage points in villages where schools received vouchers.”

Backroads likes this.
  6. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Nov 10, 2017

Be careful with your language. Saying poor academic performance is "cultural" could be a dog whistle way of saying low performance is racial. Low performance is unrelated to "culture" — it's a product of poverty.

anon55 and yellowdaisies like this.
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Nov 10, 2017

You’re right, that is not what I meant. I did not mean to offend. I should have said impoverished settings.

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2017

a2z and futuremathsprof like this.
  9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Nov 10, 2017

Ditto. Why gamble with your child’s future? If they are not learning the material in one school, then take them out and put them elsewhere. This makes me think of Einstein’s definition of insanity.

a2z likes this.
  10. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2017

Just yesterday I saw a dicussion offering the possibility of making the system completely voucher. Have your schools, let all families pick where to go by not allowing a default local school.

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Nov 10, 2017

This could work!

12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Nov 10, 2017

Based on what? Just the transportation issues alone would be difficult to overcome!! Not to mention overcrowding issues it could create.

2ndTimeAround and yellowdaisies like this.
  13. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Nov 10, 2017

That's already how it works in some areas. The area of Chicago where my mom grew up now does not have a "neighborhood" high school default. They never went to the closest school though, because the closest is/was a magnet school. Right now, they apply to a list of schools by ranking their options. I don't know the details of how they decide who gets in where. I'm not sure how well it works either, since most of the kids go to Catholic school anyway, even with the options of a few pretty decent public high schools.

futuremathsprof and Backroads like this.
  14. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2017

I'd imagine schools have limits to make things managleable. I'm not saying I support the idea, but as a full opposite of public, it could be feasible rather than selective vouchers.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  15. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Nov 10, 2017

So, you are blaming the teachers for their students' lack of progress? This seems presumptive since you are in California and the school you cite is in Baltimore.

When I was teaching in a low SES school, we had such a highly transient population that by years end, I only had four or five students that started. Those kids I kept all year scored well on the state tests, but I was held responsible for students' scores when I only had them in class for a week.

You also seem woefully ignorant of what happened in Milwaukee over 20 years of voucher schools. The radically defunded public schools continue to outscore them. Perhaps the Baltimore school needs more resources or our economy needs to offer more opportunities for poor families.

anon55 likes this.
  16. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Nov 10, 2017

This is exactly what's going on now. The data is piling up that "choice" does nothing for poor families except cause greater segregation and increasing inequality, and the powers that be (and some well-intensioned but poorly informed teachers) say let's have more of it.

Did you read the study? Choice is a failure unless you are for segregation.

17. a2z

a2z Phenom

Nov 10, 2017

That isn't the only explanation. It could be the others who attend have no desire to learn making it impossible for the teachers to do a good job even when they try. Peer pressure, behavior problems, or schools falling apart could add to a lack of general learning.

But if it was the teachers who were incapable of imparting knowledge because of lack of content knowledge or lack of management skills, kids do deserve the ability to go elsewhere.

Backroads likes this.
  18. a2z

a2z Phenom

Nov 10, 2017

Baltimore spends $15,564 per pupil. How much more do you think they should have?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  19. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Nov 10, 2017

California pays $11,329 per pupil and school districts are still asking for more. It just never seems to be enough...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  20. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Nov 10, 2017

That's an outrageous sum! Those greedy, greedy teachers!

I know how we can punish them. Let's destroy public schools and spend the money on a system that benefits children from wealthier families and increases inequalities and undermine quality education for poorer students

21. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Nov 11, 2017

Let us assume the following:

More money/resources for public schools = greater student achievement

Yet, in many public schools that receive the most federal funding, the students are still underachieving. Isn’t that the opposite of what teachers and district officials are saying should happen? If more money is the answer, why does there still seem to be little to no change in student performance?