restroom breaks

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by MrT, Nov 18, 2006.

1. MrT

MrT Rookie

Nov 18, 2006

At first when I started subbing I would let kids go to the restroom when they wanted to, then I started becoming strict and wouldn't let anyone go unless they were dancing the jig.

I had a class friday that was pestering me like crazy to use the restroom. I kept telling the students I wouldn't allow them to use the restroom, but they kept pulling my strings anyway.

One girl kept pestering me persistantly. She told me "I have to use the restroom and on the way I have to stop at my locker." I told her if it was such an emergency she wouldn't need to stop at her locker. A boy behind her started laughing " dude! You totally don't understand why she needs to go to her locker before she uses the restroom?" He raised his eyebrow and gave a smile. I felt like such an idiot.

Realizing then it was her period, I let her go. Shortly after three girls in the class started laughling and told me " Oh ya we need to use the restroom too, it's a girl thing." I made them sit in the room the rest of the period. They were gigling and laughing, persitantly teasing me the rest of the period. I became angry and wrote their names down for their teacher, but this only made them laugh even more.

In our sub mannual it states sub's should not allow students to use the restrooms at all, unless under extreme circumstances. How do you distinquish between extreme or not? It is a lot easier to tell if a boy needs to use a restroom or not, he starts doing the jig. Girls are not so obvious in their body language.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2006

It' s unreasonable to expect a sub to not let the kids use the bathroom. I Use your judgement, and when in doubt just let the kids go. I wouldn't let 2 at a time go. Try to have them write their names down on the board or paper before leaving that way you can see just how many times one person has left the room

4. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 18, 2006

I can't find it in my sub manual, but at orientation we were told NEVER to deny a child to go to the bathroom. They said this was regardless of the teacher's policy. I'm uncomfortable denying a child incase they have to go. I've had personal negative experiences when denied. Yet, sometimes I know the kids are just time killing.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 18, 2006

I never deny a child permission to use the rest room. And you must keep in mind the age of the girls.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2006

I've read somewhere too that teachers...sub teachers too...should never deny a child access to the bathroom. It's ok to say "Wait a minute or two unitl I'm finished explaining...." whatever it is. Besides, when that parent comes blazing in to complain to the principal of how their child now is in distress ove what you did...well...it's just not worth fighting and trying to win the battle over the bathroom thing. All you can do is try to monitor or maybe just take the entire class...yes...even if it's upper or high school. Better than being bothered about it all period. Spend 7 minutes and get it over with.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 18, 2006

Always check the teacher's substitute's folder and the school policies as well. In our school the students must use the restroom between classes, and the restrooms are LOCKED during class time. If a student must go during class, they have to have a note with the time/date/teacher's signature and they have to go to the office restroom where they have to sign in to use the bathroom. It's such a hassle that the kids who really, really need to go are the only ones who will bother.

We also have some students that are on "no go" restrictions, which means that they cannot, under any circumstances, leave them classroom without supervision. Then this year I have one with "urgency" issues, and when she's gotta go, she's gotta GO . . . and she doesn't even have to get permission first. She just GOES. Then she brings back a note from the office.

Restoom visits are tricky!

8. ryman

ryman Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

I have a log sheet where I track every individual who leaves the room and why, including time out and time in. This way the teacher can see if the students are taking advantage. I've seen that some teachers take away extra credit points for students leaving class. Seems like a good idea.

I don't deny bathroom breaks unless there's less than 10 minutes left in class. I think of it this way: If a student is gone to use the bathroom it's one less student I have to worry about.

As an aside it reminds me of something I read in a sub manual, "...a sleeping student is a quiet student." A blessing in disguise. Sounds horrible, but makes sense.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 19, 2006

Be VERY careful there! If a student is supposed to be under your supervision at that time, they're still your responsibility if they're gone somewhere! (Hence the "no go" kids we have . . . they can't be trusted away from direct supervision.)

10. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2006

I let them go............. one at a time.

Major Hunt

11. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

I agree with what Ima_Teacher and ryman said. Since different schools have different policies, there must be a variety of different approaches to restroom usage out there.

My manual says to be very wary of students that ask to use the restroom at the very beginning or end of the period. Most middle and high schools around here have some kind of ten/ten rule, which disallows students from leaving the room during the first ten minutes or the last ten. (This was actually something ryman was describing.) It seems to be a great policy.

I never totally deny a student's need to use the restroom though. When you have to go, you have to go. However, I ask them to wait a little bit or tell them that I have to do some work first. I have found that students that genuinely need to go will ask again.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2006

How about this: you let them go (one at a time, of course!) but they HAVE to pay back 10 minutes after school.

If it's not an emergency, they'll stay in the room. If it is, they'll do whatever they need to in order to go.

And you have my sympathies. What an awful situation!

13. Btownsub

Btownsub Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

I've had the same issue. I allow students to go, but I tell them that I will inform their teacher how long they were out beforehand. I also make sure that they do not take anything (i.e. backpack, notebook, IPod) with them. If they are the type of student that looks like they are just trying to get out of class, I pick a certain amount of the in-class assignment that they must complete and show me before they will be allowed to leave. And, like everyone else said, I never let more than one out of the classroom at a time.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2006

Sometimes that purse/backpack is vital in the ladies room.

15. Btownsub

Btownsub Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

I understand that sometimes the young women might need a purse, but they do not need their purse, backpack, notebook, pencil and best friend to accompany them to the ladies room. If they "need" their purse, they can definitely leave me with something so I know that they won't just take off. (Which has happened often enough that it inspired the "leave something if not everything" rule.)

16. ryman

ryman Rookie

Nov 20, 2006

You all bring up an interesting point. What can they take with them? I never let them take backpacks, and of course no buddies. I also make sure they have a pass in hand stating where they are headed to and from (in pen). It also includes time out.

Younger kids (k-1st grade) often have classroom buddy policies. It scares me to send them out at all, though, being so little.