Responsibility expected of 5th Graders

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by rockangel312, Jan 14, 2012.

1. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Jan 14, 2012

I teach in a middle school, and fifth grade is the youngest grade there. It is now January, and I always struggle with teaching responsibility, while still understanding that most of them are only 10 years-old.

For example, no name on paper I usually put it up for student to claim. It's annoying though. Make up work kids are bad at turning in, usually anyone who does poorly is due to absences and not handing the assignments in after I have asked several times.

I want to know how everyone else handles nameless papers, skipped questions(I now just mark them wrong), missed assignments, late assignments. I think that covers it.

Any input is appreciated :)

3. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Jan 14, 2012

I don't worry about it

I figure if a parent is thinking about Harvard already, they will make sure the kid puts his/her name on things. I keep a check list of most of my important work and check if it has been turned in. Then at report card time I show the parent how many missed pieces there were if I think there is a problem. I'm not about to track down missing work unless it is life or death.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 14, 2012

I still have seniors that occasionally forget their names on papers.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2012

I don't fight the no name battle in sixth grade either. I wish kids could put their names on papers, but honestly, everyone forgets. I do work with a sixth grade teacher who throws away no name papers though.

I post missing work reports and this really helps with students who have absent work.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jan 15, 2012

I teach 5th grade also. I get those problems too. This is how I handle it.

No name=10% off the assignment
    Also, since it is often the same students leaving names off, I try to talk to these students individually about it.

Skipped questions are marked wrong. Usually this gets to be less of a problem as the year goes on.

Throwing away papers with no names can be too harsh. Say you have a student who really studies for a test and gets a "0" for no name. At the same time another student doesn't study and gets a 50%. I think not studying for a test is a far larger mistake than leaving a name off of a paper. Better to let "the punishment fit the crime".

Have a strict policy on late work. Ours is they get however many days they've been out to turn in an assignment. (Example=1 day absent, 1 extra day to turn it in once they return). After that we have consequences for not turning it in on time like any other student who doesn't turn in work on time. Ours is an after school detention.

My largest suggestion is that you realize that this problem will happen even with your best efforts to stop it. Students need to be held accountable with a consequence with their grade and also possibly some other way which is appropriate. Some students would gladly not do their work and take low grades. I don't give them this choice. All work must be done--even if it means I keep them after school.

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 15, 2012

My standard response to papers with no name is: Do you know your name? You do? I don't, because it is not on your paper!
    They chuckle, but they get the message. I know my students handwriting. I don't take points off for no name. If it is something I am grading, then I make sure I put their name on it. Some of my students are so nervous to get started on their test/quiz, they forget to put their name.
    I agree with readingrules about having a strict policy, but find one that fits you, your personality and goes by the protocol of your school. I find it easier to create my policies after I have talked with my 5th grade colleagues. Continuity is the key.

8. teachingfran

teachingfran Rookie

Jan 16, 2012

I have a basket for "NO NAMES" and they need to claim it and turn it in when homework is requested to get credit. If they don't claim it by the end of the quarter, I do throw it out because grades have been submitted.

9. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Jan 23, 2012

Teachingfran: Do the kids know to go to the basket? It would mean they know they forgot their name right? Or do you read off missing assignments?

10. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 11, 2012

No Names

I'm moving from 2nd to 5th so I'm scouring for advise but when I have kids who don't write their names on their papers, I have them write their name 10-20-or more times. I usually remind until Christmas (2nd grade and we are always monitoring everything) and I warn them that after Christmas, they will have to start writing. When I have to take time to figure out whose paper it is, they can take time to write their name 10 or 20 times. They usually decide it's easier to take time to write before they turn it in.

11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 11, 2012

My dds' teachers had them "flip cards" when they didn't write their names on their papers in first grade. Each one of them forgot one time each. That being said, they had been trained to not start an assignment in class until all of the instructions were given. Once everyone had a sheet the first instruction was "write your name."

If it was a homework assignment, no-name papers went into the trash and students had to redo the assignment during "free" time.

That lady was tough but you could tell who had been held to higher standards when they all went to second grade.

12. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jul 11, 2012

One of my first instructions with 6th graders is write your name, now turn to your partner and make sure they have written their name.

It works and later in the year when I forget on purpose, I always have someone raise a hand to say, " You forgot an instruction." Then we discuss if I still need to be giving the instruction since they are all ready mature enough to be in charge of their own paper.

I don't have many students need the instruction after that.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 11, 2012

Good idea, donziejo.

I also went through the process of finding the owner of no-name papers. I had small classes, so I'd have them all stand and I'd read off their names. Those kids sat, and the remaining students had to go through the pile and find their papers.

One thing I wish I'd done, though, was to have them pick a favorite pen or pencil and ask them to head their paper before they began an assignment. I'd take the extra minute or two to do this as we started.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 11, 2012

If I had a bunch of repeat offenders, I would start making them highlight their name on their paper--no name, nothing to highlight, so it was a reminder. I would put the highlighter next to the turn in box, or I would stand there and hand it to kids. It didn't take long of having to do this before they got in the habit.

Even better, you can have a student be the name monitor. I had my junior high kids fold their papers in half and write their name on the outside (this way they could hand them around the desks without privacy becoming an issue). I would have the next student check the paper that was handed to them, so by the time the papers got to the last student, they all had a name.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2012

If you collect papers by rows/groups it is usually pretty easy to figure out.
    I do take 5 points off for forgetting their name.
    The only time it REALLY becomes an issue is if it is multiple choice. Earlier in the year, I had 20 (of 67) forget their name on one multiple choice assignment (it was a Time for Kids magazine with no name line). I ended up giving everyone the lowest grade.