Responding to Site Climate Surveys

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, May 6, 2017.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 6, 2017

How honest are you with site climate surveys? They're supposed to be anonymous, but anyone could figure out which response was mine because they ask identifying questions like which subject do you teach, how many years have you worked here, etc.

I responded to mine VERY truthfully, and it wasn't a happy response. I am slightly worried that someone will link my response to me and retaliate in some way. But mostly I don't really care, because there's not much they can do to retaliate against me except force me into a very awkward conversation which I'd rather avoid, but eh. I haven't been treated any differently by admin yet, so I assume they haven't read the results yet.

Are administrators allowed to approach you based on your response to these surveys?

catnfiddle likes this.
  3. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

May 6, 2017

It depends. If the school/district uses any outside survey mechanism, I am honest. If they use something that is easy to track, I don't fill the survey out. I also don't fill out ones that will personally identify me.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 6, 2017

I use those surveys as a tool for personal/professional improvement. I really value the responses and take them to heart. I don't try to figure out who said what.

otterpop likes this.
  5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 6, 2017

I am fair. If something is wrong, I say so. I try not to sound snarky or rude or disgruntled about anything, though. I think the issue has a better chance of being addressed rather than dismissed if it seems like I'm trying to problem-solve instead of place blame.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 6, 2017

I'm honest. If something isn't working, I don't sugarcoat it. On the other hand, it something is in any way positive, I'll probably give it a higher rating.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 6, 2017

USE THEM. I never completed one at my former school but I gave one to my department as part of my graduate school curriculum. It was part of what informed me that it was time for me to start looking elsewhere. Part of me thinks that it would have behooved my administration (who was given access to my results) to pay attention to my findings.

8. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

May 6, 2017

I fill them out, but don't answer demographic questions honestly. Most at my school don't answer these questions honestly. I was just talking to someone about this a few weeks ago and they made a comment that according to these surveys half the staff are Asian males who have been teaching 20-30 years. No one at my staff actually matches that description.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 6, 2017

That made me LOL!!!

ready2learn likes this.
  10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 6, 2017

As an AP, there have been a few comments on the climate survey that have hurt my feelings (maybe I'm hypersensitive??!), but the remarks made me finds ways to improve in that particular area.

11. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 6, 2017

I answer pretty truthfully. We have these surveys where we specifically evaluate the P and also the senior staff and I think as a teaching staff, we have to be truthful if we expect changes to occur. That doesn't mean being rude in the survey but just telling it as it is in a factual non-personal manner. If enough staff are individually saying pretty similar things on the surveys then it holds weight.

I write the things that are positive but I also write the things that are negative. E.g. I've mentioned issues like ineffective leadership when it comes to certain things like a senior staff member bullying and intimidating other staff, an ongoing situation that P is aware of but does nothing or is perceived to be doing nothing; and effective leadership like supporting staff when parents are calling for our heads. After a good number of us wrote about that ineffective leadership situation, P did something, and the situation improved somewhat. So personally, I'm pretty honest. Even if I am identified, I have no issues justifying what I wrote in the survey in person, because it is the truth.

12. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 6, 2017

I am not very truthful in the actual surveys. I have intimate knowledge that admin tries to determine who the respondents are. With that said, I do not think our admin would retaliate in any way other than to maybe suggest that if someone is so unhappy that they may want to find an inter district transfer. I however am pretty honest in person if I am not happy about a direction the school is taking.

otterpop likes this.
  13. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 7, 2017

I am extremely truthful and I sign my name to it. It got me into "trouble" once with the district office but that "trouble" is what was needed to bring about change. Yes, I had to have a meeting. Yes, I was told I was not going through proper channels. Whatever. I'm not going to pretend things are good when they are not.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  14. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 7, 2017

I am semi truthful. I am afraid that they are not anonymous, so I do not put anything too bad. The written questions, I try to be more careful on, because I think it's easier to guess who wrote a written response.

It's unfortunate it is that way, but most people either don't complete it or are very careful, like me. There are some key concerns this year that are shared by a lot of the staff, but I have no idea whether those are shown in the survey.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 7, 2017

In my district, I tried to make it clear that our APs were not the ones at fault and most were doing the best that they could, (though I do think some of them are incompetent, like the one that always takes the side of the students before even talking to the teachers). My main gripe was with district leadership. The superintendent and her feet kissing lackeys is what I feel is the source of much of our district's problem. They're more concerned with padding their resumes with initiatives that look great on paper, but don't translate into reality, and then blaming teachers when they don't work.

otterpop likes this.
  16. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 7, 2017

This is a huge issue in a lot of districts, I think. There need to be more opportunities for teacher input before major changes are made.

17. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 7, 2017

I'm honest, even if it means I could be sticking out. Thankfully, I have full trust in our principal, and the rest of the staff wouldn't be able to figure out who it is who chose to answer differently.

18. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 8, 2017

We have leadership, at the site level and district level that do not respond well to any form of criticism or suggestions for change. Temper tantrums are had. Our anonymous surveys are attached to a personal code and are mandatory. People have been made to teach subjects they do not know, move classrooms multiple times in a school year, been assigned multiple duties and have had clubs stripped from them. Payback is rough so few people are honest. Overall site leadership is good. But if you cross an invisible line, life can be hard.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 8, 2017

I have not experienced this myself but I have seen it happen.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 8, 2017

It's really unfortunate to hear that there are administrators out there who would retaliate due to seeing things on a climate survey that aren't glowing.

We're not all like that, ladies and gents! I promise!!!