Respect for Paras??

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by flutetoot, May 28, 2013.

1. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

May 28, 2013

I am a certified teacher with her Masters, with 5 endorsements to my name. I graduated magna cum laude, received perfect scores on a couple of my Praxis tests, and think of myself as fairly easy-going and flexible. I have been looking for a teaching job for 6 years now (cannot move due to family/husband) and know that age is not helping me. (I am in my early 40's).

I have been working as a f/t para in a high school for 2 years now. I do whatever is asked of me, and often volunteer for activities/events etc. I even have excellent reviews.

So why does it feel like paras get no respect? Last week, the National Honor Society students held a "Teacher Breakfast" for teachers only. Paras were not invited, and if you accidentally went over there, teachers/students would remind you that this was for "teachers only".
    Last month, some parents bought pizza for all the teachers (it was in the mutual staff room). When I went over there, teachers reminded me that it was for "teachers only".
    Many teachers in my school won't even talk to paras in the lunchroom. I do not have a choice, because since I do not have my own room, I have to eat there.
    I know teachers work hard, but why do we have to made to feel like we are inferior? Students pick up on this and will treat us just as poorly (You are not a teacher so I don't have to listen to you, etc.)

Sorry - I am just venting here.:down:

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 28, 2013

Even when there were times I thought this might be true in select cases in our school, it was never like that. Your school culture regarding paras frankly sucks. If it were me, I might even bring it up to my admin. But again, that depends on how well I think admin would receive it.

We were ALWAYS invited to teacher morale functions. ALWAYS. Heck, once the teachers brought in a special breakfast for us and took our morning duties so we could eat it!

If the administration isn't going to have something for paras or at least for support staff, then they need to include paras and support staff. If it is the teachers that care, as opposed to the administration, then I would clear it with them that we are all here to support the students and according to admin, this function includes support staff as well.

But then again, we include all staff in our stuff IF they are working directly in our department. We call it teacher appreciation but others are included. There are staff that do not fall under our bosses that we might not put in the rotation for breakfasts, etc. but if happen to be working in our building that day, they are NOT excluded. This includes subs and maintenance!

While there are definitely cliques in the break room, they are not specifically divided by job type. Having said that, it is likely that sometimes teachers will choose to come together because it is easier to talk about like things. That doesn't preclude anyone from joining nor does it stay that way.

I think it is hard to change a work culture, but not impossible. It could take time, finesse and persistence though.

4. a2z

a2z Phenom

May 28, 2013

Sorry that is happening, OP. Treatment like that doesn't happen everywhere. As Cut said, it has more to do with the culture of your school.

5. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

May 28, 2013

WOW!!!! I have been working for a wonderful school system and have NEVER had anyone be disrespectful or mean to me...if anything its the opposite. I'm a Kindergarten Teaching Assistant and I feel respected and valued everyday.

Teacher Appreciation Week not only were we personally invited to the Breakfast from the Principal and Lunch from the PTA but the Kindergarten Teacher (and parents) gave ME a bouquet of flowers from them and the kids..and hand made cards from the kids as well!!!!! The K teacher I work with sings my praises constantly to the point where people come up to me; staff, parents, etc. and tell me they've heard amazing things.

I don't understand people who are like that. To me that's so sad when staff are treated that way and its wrong!!!!!!!!!!

I feel very blessed to be in my district and have worked in the Elementary schools I have worked in with the people that I do.

I'd be sad too.

((((HUGS)))))

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 28, 2013

That is an awful way to treat any staff. My school never has anything that is only for "teachers" and I can't imagine people saying that someone couldn't join.

7. JustMe

JustMe Guru

May 28, 2013

There have been special treats for teachers only in both of my schools. Of course, it it was a food spread and someone wandered into the room we always welcome them. Not every teacher would eat, so it balanced out. If it was a special note pad in our mailboxes, they were just for teachers from maybe a local business for Teacher Appreciation Day. We alao have special recognition for administrators and office staff. No assistants, though. In general, though, I think there is respect all around.

8. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Jun 6, 2013

At our school, teachers and paras are respected equally. When students bring gifts for teachers, I have always gotten one even when I was a para. When there is a breakfast, or potluck lunch, paras are invited as well as the support staff. That is one of the reasons I like the school that I am subbing for, even subs get treated with respect and that doesn't happen everywhere!

9. greendream

greendream Comrade

Jun 6, 2013

I don't see anything wrong with having an event for teachers only. In my school, there are certain functions that are only for staff, some only for administration, some only for teachers, and some for everyone.

10. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 6, 2013

I see something wrong with telling someone (in the staff lounge) that something is for teacher's only, as if the presence of a non teacher would ruin their event. As far as having exclusive events, I like the way that my school does it. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just glad that I don't work at school that excludes anyone. :2cents:

11. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Jun 6, 2013

Sorry to hear about this. You don't deserve that kind of treatment. I would speak with someone in charge of these functions. Do the other paras feel the same way? Keep plugging along...hang in there!

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 6, 2013

That is beyond awful and not the case in my school at all! My school could not function without our paras and they lovingly deal with some of the most difficult students in our school and are always willing to help out however they can! I would bring it up with administration without naming names. Even Teacher Appreciation Week is called Staff Appreciation Week at my school and everyone is included, no matter what your title is. Any time we have treats, we always make sure the paras and subs know since they often leave for lunch and don't always have time to check their e-mails.

13. Alizeh

Alizeh Rookie

Jun 6, 2013

I'm sorry this is happening. :(

In the school I student taught at, paras were treated very well and there wasn't much division between teachers and paras.

14. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Jun 6, 2013

Judging by this thread, elem paras are on equal footing with teachers, but the esteem seems to fade in the higher grades. We only have paras in special ed classrooms in our high school. Some teachers aren't even aware we have any. The dept, however, is a different story. We're a family and we take care of each other.

15. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 6, 2013

I've never heard of anything like that and I've taught, subbed, or student taught in 5 different districts. The paras in my current school are highly respected. There is no distinction whatsoever in the treatment or level of respect.

On a personal level, I actually refer to my paras as teachers. I had one student try to correct me once, but I asserted that if someone is in your school, helping you learn, that person is a teacher.

16. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Jun 6, 2013

:thumb:

17. greendream

greendream Comrade

Jun 7, 2013

Or it could be because they catered for the amount of teachers they knew would attend.

So you're telling me that at your school, no one gets excluded from anything, ever? You get to attend everything that your administrators do?

18. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 7, 2013

If you're catering for an event at lunch time when paras will be in the staff room as well, it is incredibly ignorant to only count the number of teachers, and not the other adults that will be in the staff room at that time. No excuses for that behaviour.

19. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 7, 2013

Didn't seem like my posts were confusing, but sure I can restate it. My school does not have any functions that are exclusive to any staff members. There aren't any social/fun events for admin, they are simply part of staff potlucks, parties, BBQs, etc.

If a certain amount was catered for a specific group, that's fine (a little rude in my opinion) but to expect other staff members to not enter the staff lounge because you don't want to share the food is rude. Maybe the OP wasn't going in there for their food, maybe she just wanted to eat her lunch in the lounge. It sounds rude to me.

20. greendream

greendream Comrade

Jun 7, 2013

Now that that passive aggressive shot across the bow has been fired, let's return to the actual discussion.

If, as you say, every single event in your school includes everyone in the building, I'd say your school is in the minority.

I just don't see it as being rude to have a function specifically for one group. Pretty much every work environment I've ever been a part of has had functions for only certain departments, and I never felt like it was rude or ignorant or hurtful.

Years ago, I worked in an office with college faculty. There would be times when there were little luncheons for faculty that the office staff didn't go to, and vice versa. Then there would be large functions we all would go to. I think that's fairly common.

21. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

Jun 7, 2013

I'm sorry as well that your school treats paras that way. Paras are always welcome to every one of our school events, and we frequently remind the PTSA and anyone organizing event to bring enough food for the paras as well.