Resignation Protocol

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HRE, Apr 18, 2017.

1. HRE

HRE New Member

Apr 18, 2017

I will be resigning my current teaching position next week, and I was wondering what usual protocol is when it comes to writing resignation letters to your principal. According to the district policies, I have to write a letter of resignation and deliver it to my superintendent, but it doesn't say anything about my principal. I was intending to just meet with him and inform him of my decision verbally. Do you think this is okay? Or should I write him a letter? (Or both?) We have a relatively close working relationship in that I see him multiple times per day and the school is very small. What do you think? I won't be leaving until the end of the school year (June), and of course I am planning to write him a thank you card, etc. before I leave. I've never officially resigned from a full time position before, so I'm not sure about the protocol.

Thanks!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2017

I would write a letter to the superintendent, CC the principal, and give the principal his letter while you are meeting with him.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Apr 18, 2017

Since you seem to have a good working relationship with your P, I would write a more personal note as your resignation for him.

5. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Apr 20, 2017

A heads-up is nice. Especially if you're friendly and close. It gives them time to plan in meetings, consider who they want to hire, give them some time to start vetting applicants. It won't affect how they treat you. I did wait until the spring semester to let my principals know, even though I knew that previous summer I would be leaving in May.

Go into their office and talk to them personally. It's ok to send an email to the superintendent, because I doubt you're close with them, but it may come off as a shock if the principal just gets an email saying "I'm leaving at the end of the year" and not a word from you face to face.