Renting a house or an Apartment? Pros and cons

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Aug 27, 2018.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Aug 27, 2018

Well, I have packed my bags and moved out of the apartment that had bed bugs. The apartment was treated but they wanted me to pay for the treatment. After leaving bad reviews, about the apartment on google and other social media sites, the property managers owned up to their mistakes and offered to allow me to leave without paying the rent and the money to break out the lease. I received everything in writing that also states that I will not be reported to creditors. I am currently bunking on my parents' couch for 2 weeks while searching for another place. In the area, I noticed that the rates for the apartments have skyrocketed! 2 bedrooms 2 baths are almost 1000 dollars a month! Even the complexes that were built many years ago has remodeled and raised the rent near the thousands. Surprisingly, the rental homes are cheaper. A 3 bedroom homes in the suburbs are going for 700-1000 a month which in my opinion is a better deal than apartment units. I saw a cute little 3 bedroom home for 800 a month that I want that is located in a nice neighborhood. However I have a problem with doing the upkeep, I have to take care of the lawn which is not a big deal being that the lawn is small but it has a big backyard that will be great for planting the mowing would just be a hassle, I have to pay for pest control after the first 4 treatments, and I have to change the AC Filters. When touring the house, I saw a small ROACH on the wall! The upkeep is one thing but seeing a small roach may be a sign of an infestation. I do not want to go through that again!

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 27, 2018

In my opinion, once you move into a house, you will never want to live in an apartment.
    Pros for house:
    - backyard
    - garage (safe storage of your car and storage space)
    - own washer / dryer availability
    - no upstairs / downstairs neighbors, or neighbors on the other side of your wall
    - rooms are generally larger
    - because you're renting, you still don't have to pay for maintenance

cons:
    - usually higher rent but not always too much higher, so it's still worth it
    - utilities ted to be more expensive
    - sometimes you have to supply appliances such as refigerator
    - you usually have to pay separate for water and trash
    - often required to pay for landscaping

For me to pros outweigh the cons, but make sure you can afford it.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  4. TeacherCuriousExplore

Aug 27, 2018

The house comes equipped with a fridge and all other amenities like an apartment but as you mentioned in the cons, I have to pay for water and trash.

I calculating to see if these extra bills fit into my monthly budget. I bring in about 4k every month

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 27, 2018

If you are in the suburbs and plan to work not out of the home before your lease is over, account for added commuting costs or added commuting costs for going where you want to go. Expect heating and cooling to be higher since you aren't surrounded on multiple sides by others how are heating or cooling their units.

6. TeacherCuriousExplore

Aug 27, 2018

Yes, this should be considered too.

7. TeacherCuriousExplore

Aug 27, 2018

Is it crazy to want a 3 bedroom house if I do not have any kids or pets? I am single. It's just me

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 27, 2018

It depends. How hard do you want to work on domestic tasks? If you hate yard work and all of the extra cleaning in a large house, yes it is crazy to want what you don't have the desire (or depending on your skills the ability) to take care of.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 27, 2018

I have never lived in an apartment, but some of my friends have. I’ve heard them complain about all kinds of things.

When you are interested in a house, make sure to ask about exactly what you are in charge of (utilities and upkeep) plus how much the bills run for the house. You don’t want any surprises.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 27, 2018

Sorry, but the roach on the wall would, literally, kill that deal for me. I don’t do bugs or snakes.

I need my space, so a house would win out for me - but I enjoy yard work.

11. TeacherCuriousExplore

Aug 27, 2018

EXACTLY! The house was perfect but had a roach on the WALL

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 27, 2018

I bought a 3 bedroom house with 1.5 acres when I was 28. Just me. I used the biggest bedroom as my room, the next largest as a guest room, and the smallest as an office.

When I got married two years ago, we built a large master suite. It’s just the two of us. I kept the office and guest room the way they were, and we turned the old master bedroom into an entertainment room. Not that we technically needed one. We also have a living room and a den.

DH had a larger house (4 bedroom/2 bath) with a pool. He had more living space, too. And more yard.

If you want more house than you need and it doesn’t put you in a financial bind to have it, go for it.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 27, 2018

Bugs and other critters don’t necessarily bother me. However, I live in the country. It comes with the territory.

I’ve never had roaches, but I’ve had spiders, ants, house centipedes, and mice. That’s why the exterminator comes from time to time.

14. TeacherCuriousExplore

Aug 27, 2018

The bed bug situation kind of creeped me out. Maybe there is way to have the house fumigated or bombed.... or whatever they do before I move my things in

15. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 27, 2018

Before I bought my home, I lived in two townhouses that I rented. The first one was a dive, but, adorable and cheap. The second one was very nice, two bedrooms, one bath, with an attached garage, cute little balcony. The dive was (10 years ago) 450 a month. The Nice one was a little under 700 (8 years ago).

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 27, 2018

I lived in a small, 2 bedroom house for a while. I am also single, and the rent was a steal, so I took it. The house was on a double lot, so I had a big yard to take care of. I didn't mind the mowing, raking or gardening. What did me in was shoveling snow. Winter lasts about 6 months here, and after getting stuck in the back lane 1 too many times, I decided house living wasn't for me. After 3 years in that house, I moved into a condo and I haven't looked back. But I did love that little (660 sq feet) house!

17. TeacherCuriousExplore

Aug 27, 2018

There is a condo that I am also interested in. It is so cute

18. TeacherCuriousExplore

Aug 27, 2018

The thought of having bed bugs again terrifies me which is why I am so afraid to try an apartment, townhouse, and condos

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 27, 2018

I had my house treated for pests before I moved in. I also had the carpet cleaned. It had been vacant for a couple of years.

20. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 27, 2018

I think that is crazy, especially if you are buying. If you are renting, I still say it is crazy but viable if you intend to get a roommate(s). Remember, you are buying at the peak of the market. Essentially, you will be paying top-dollar, for rooms that will vacant 90% of the time.

I don't get that logic.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2018

Bunking on your parents couch for two weeks....that seems to fit past practice.
    Truthfully, renting a house doesn’t sound like something that’s going to be a fit for you. It’s a BIG responsibility.

a2z likes this.