Removed from Sub Job

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Mar 7, 2017

What does it mean if you are removed from a sub job? I got an email that I have been removed from a sub job I just signed up for. This is at an elementary school and I have been removed or the job has been canceled a few times. I'm really not sure what is going on. I was just there yesterday and the day didn't go well but it wasn't terrible. I forgot to send the lunch count down and they called my room for me to do so. The principal also stopped in my room to see how things were going but it was going well at the time. Should I talk to the school about it?

I was having a great day until now! The middle school principal said I was their favorite sub and the secretary filled a job in advance for me :) I really don't know what I could have done wrong.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2017

It's possible that the teacher decided not to take the day off or ended up going with a different sub who has been in the class more often. I wouldn't worry about it.

czacza likes this.
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 7, 2017

Agreed. As long as you are able to continue being scheduled there, it isn't you, it's the teacher's circumstances.

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Mar 7, 2017

Thank you! I've worked in this classroom before so I thought it would be nice to go back. I've honestly never had any bad experiences at this school but I am a new sub (I started late January.) Yesterday, I had a personal issue so I could only show up 10 minutes before class started and the office had a hard time figuring out where I was supposed to be. I could only be there 5 minutes before the kids and there was so much to figure out in the classroom since it was 1st grade. So it was definitely my fault due to lack of time to prep and I didn't have time to ask neighboring teachers any questions.

The kids were a bit chatty throughout the morning but we got everything done. I did have one student get pulled out by a teacher and two other teachers came looking for her before recess. I forgot she had been pulled but we realized soon enough. I just found it weird that I was removed almost immediately after signing up for a job in two cases. I don't want to be an elementary school teacher but I do get the majority of my jobs from this school.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2017

I've pulled jobs when I had to change the absence type. I'm sure it's annoying, but it's the way the system is set up in my district. I can't edit a job once it's already in there, so I have to cancel and create a whole new job just to change the reason from sick day to personal day or something.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Mar 7, 2017

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

As an administrator, I often cancel absences for teachers for reasons such as: the training they were supposed to attend was postponed/cancelled, a meeting was postponed/cancelled, or the teacher's absence doesn't need sub coverage after all. These are just three of many reasons I've deleted a job.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 7, 2017

I was also going to say that the teacher probably just doesn't need to be out anymore. I had to do that earlier this year. I'd put in for an absence because I had jury duty, and then I found out the day before that my number wasn't required to report, so I had to cancel the absence.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Mar 8, 2017

Thanks everyone!! I will see how it goes in the future and I won't worry about it for now :)

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 8, 2017

Were you able to recoup your losses and sub at another school / district? Things like that were why I was signed up in six districts when I subbed.

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Mar 8, 2017

The assignment was for next week so I still have time! I'm subbing in 2 districts now and there aren't a ton of jobs but I've found one for every day I've wanted one so far. :)

catnfiddle likes this.
  12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Mar 17, 2017

I signed up for an aide job for today on Tuesday at the same school. I woke up to find it canceled at 5am which I thought was strange. I'm glad I saw the alert and was able to get another job in time. I'm wondering if this school commonly cancels jobs.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 17, 2017

Ugh, that's annoying! Glad you were able to scramble for something else.

14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Mar 17, 2017

Yeah I'm not sure if I should sign up for jobs at this school that don't have specific teacher names. I can't believe they canceled at 5am! The job I found was only a 1/2 day so I did miss out on half a day of work

15. bella84

bella84 Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2017

I've also canceled sub jobs when I realized that I no longer needed to be out... but I did once have an afternoon-only sub job canceled the morning of by our school's secretary because the sub who had picked the job up was blacklisted. If you've been doing fine there, that's prob not the case. But it does happen.

16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 18, 2017

Since you had a job cancelled the morning of, it might not be a bad idea to call the school and talk to the secretary. At my school at least, for a couple subs, if a job gets cancelled the morning of the assignment, they still invite the sub to come in and find something for them for the day. I'm sure you'd find out then if there's anything personal to these cancellations.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  17. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Mar 19, 2017

I have a job at the same school tomorrow. If it gets canceled, I think I will speak with the secretary and see if everything is ok. This is just my job for a few months so I'm not too worried but I would like to make sure

18. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Mar 20, 2017

Don't read too much into it. Like others have said, there could be any reason you were taken off. Some teachers make mistakes when they enter their sub days and the job has to be reposted. Some teachers end up not taking that day off. Sometimes a particular sub is requested instead because of one reason or another.

I've only ever gone through the motions of getting a sub barred from my classroom one time, as it took a fair amount of paperwork and doing on my part. They had been eating up all my pencil erasers by making marks on my in-class roster and then erasing the marks they made on EVERY name (present/absent/tardy), and then wiping the shavings off onto my desk and NOT cleaning them up. They did this several times. And not only that, but these were a very specific pencil. It sounds odd, but they were the best promotional pencils I'd ever had, sharpened really well, and to have the erasers obliterated before the pencil even got down to the mid-way point... I was livid.

What happened on your sub day was just human error. Everyone forgets. No big deal. I'd wait for the next sub job to come up before I would worry.

19. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Mar 23, 2017

I think it was just a school scheduling thing. I was able to go in Monday with no issues and I have 2 jobs lined up at this school for next week. Hopefully it won't get canceled :)

catnfiddle likes this.