Religion in faculty emails

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 9, 2015

What ever happened to "tolerance"? Or is tolerance not being shoved down everyone's throats like it used to be? Tolerate the quotes by ignoring them. You don't have to believe them. Christians are supposed to tolerate others. Why can't others tolerate Christians? That teacher isn't preaching the gospel to you and shoving a bible in your face. It is a simple quote in a signature. Like I said before. Put a quote from the Old Testament or the Torah. You believe in the Old Testament, correct?

2. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jan 9, 2015

I hate the word "tolerance" quite a bit. I'd rather see a movement for acceptance than tolerance.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 9, 2015

First of all, I know I'm not being outright judged by this particular teacher. However, having grown up with neighbors telling me (as a 5-year-old) that my soul was doomed because I killed Christ, I'm still a little touchy. It's odd it still affects me that way, considering how much time I spent in my college church, attending services and participating in everything but communion. Perhaps it's the tone of that third quotation I listed that set off my hackles. I love SO MUCH about Christianity, but that idea that my soul is in jeopardy is almost hurtful.

No, I will not post a Torah passage. What if I have a Muslim or atheist coworker who might find it disconcerting? It's too tit-for-tat.

I'm not going to Administration about this. I'm trying to find the best way to deal with my issues in-house, even if it's in my own head. Thank you to those who understand that I'm not about to whine to a principal about this conflict. They have so much on their own plates.

4. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2015

Yes, I am. Sorry about that -- I don't mean to be insulting by it, but I do think you should reconsider the matter carefully.

I am telling you if it's something that has an impact on students, possibly a very negative impact, you should be concerned about it. I gave a similar example -- would you be bothered if a teacher had a bunch of pro-boy quotes up on the wall, and no quote that ever mentioned girls? I don't think the girls would feel very welcome in such a class, and I think a teacher who dismissed it with, "Well, it doesn't bother *ME*, so why should I care?" should reconsider.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 9, 2015

I don't think quotes of ANY kind belong in school emails.

But I don't think you get to complain about Bible quotes if you are okay with quotes from other religious texts or from leaders of other religions.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2015

I grew up in the Bible Belt. My *public* schools had group prayer all the time (where I worked and where I went to school). I always hated it.

But as an adult, I let it go. I don't know that I would stand for group prayer anymore (luckily my current school doesn't do this), but the rest of it I ignore. For the most part, these people probably think they're doing something good. So I let them.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 9, 2015

I think recent history has shown that Christians (as a collective, not as individuals... obviously I'm not describing 100% of the group) are perfectly willing and able to be intolerant of certain other groups.

8. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jan 9, 2015

Interesting. I do have a little picture on my desk with a bible verse that I love. I've never really thought about its effect on others.

With this one, I think I would just let it go. As long as you don't feel singled out by this individual, maybe it's just something that makes them feel better. Who knows.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 9, 2015

Recent history? How about all of history?

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2015

I sure hope this isn't becoming the "intolerant of Christians" or rather, the assault on them, thread.

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2015

Wow...as opposed to the recent beheadings and terrorist attacks in the name of Allah? Not trying to go there...BUT you really make quite a deep swipe at Christians. Why are you so intolerant of them? Because you don't agree? That doesn't make them intolerant..perhaps it makes you intolerant of them as well, because you don't agree with their beliefs. I don't see the terror inflicted on individuals from Christians because of their belief. That's fine.....but don't go there. Intolerance (better yet: TOLERANCE) Should be a two way street, doesn't it?

12. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jan 9, 2015

Let's not get dogged down by Islamophobia. Christians can be just as capable of terrorism.

But this is neither here nor there and I think we have diverted a little too much from the OP's intent.

13. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 9, 2015

We actually pray before staff luncheons. We once had a woman bring her husband, who was Muslim. He walked out of the room, and boy did people talk. I believe religion and school should be separate entities. Didn't someone else say that once? Hmm......

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2015

Ok....peace. I'm out of this thread.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 9, 2015

What the heck?! Didn't I mention I spent much of college hanging out in the school's church? They even asked me to lead a couple of their mid-week bible study sessions. It's only when certain individuals have made me feel like my soul and my life were less than worthy because of my non-belief in Christianity.

16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 9, 2015

Yeah... there was nothing in this topic about Islam. And yeah... I'm a Christian. And yes, I am aware of the long and not particularly pleasant history of Christianity with regards to things like slavery, subjugation of women, and in modern days, homosexuals, transsexuals, etc.

You're taking a fairly inarguable statement (Christians have shown intolerance of others) and going majorly on the attack. Did you actually read my post?

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 9, 2015

This thread has been locked at the request of the OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.