Religion in faculty emails

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 8, 2015

Because it's not about getting even, it's about doing what's right and respectful.

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 9, 2015

I'm considering both the source and the story, czacza. As for the source, cat's not the type to look for excuses to be offended: if she's posting about the signatures here, it's because they're objectively bothersome. As to the story, she reports having pointed out her discomfort to the colleague, whose response was to blow her off, and it's at that point that he crosses the line into flaunting.

3. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jan 9, 2015

If it is not vulgar or violent, it would not bother me. I would skip reading it. I think of the signature as a reflection of the person sending it. I am open to other ideas and am one who would rather not have unnecessary rules imposed. I like Gandhi quotes but am not Hindu. I would like to read quotes from the Torah but am not Jewish.

It seems like the modern way is for people to say if they don't agree, you can't do it.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 9, 2015

Just to give you a couple of examples:

“There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” – John 15:13 (honestly, I kind of like this one as affirmative of the power of friendship)

“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances” – 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (this one is a little more evangelizing but it's still uplifting)

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:6-7 (this is one that I consider over the top)

5. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2015

Many big companies would have policies in place prohibiting this sort of thing.

His school email is not personal, and he shouldn't use it to advance his religion.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 9, 2015

To back up that rationale, according to the staff meeting I had to sit through again in the fall, it became harrassment when he was asked to stop, and then continued despite being informed that it made another uncomfortable. I would approach HR and complain, or if there is someone in charge of HIB in your organization, I would approach them. My religious leanings are private, and I would feel that I was a captive audience who couldn't leave the building given Cat's examples. It shouldn't be on the school email, IMO, and a HIB officer would probably take action to rectify the situation.

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2015

Wow, that is shocking to me. I don't think religion is a taboo topic though. I also think its just a matter of knowing the people you work with on a more personal level; like friends and family.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 9, 2015

It would be a problem at our school because our emails are considered legal documents, and may be used in court. Our signatures are mostly just what and where we teach, and a confidentiality statement.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 9, 2015

I just found out the religion of a co-worker after 3 years of knowing him at school. It just came up in conversation (about holidays) otherwise I would not know. It's never really talked about.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 9, 2015

So you would be fine with signatures that say "Women are objects to be used and disposed of." or "Blacks ought to be put back into slavery."

You'd just ignore it, right? It just reflects the person's views.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 9, 2015

That's a little more hyperbolic than the situation I'm discussing. Thankfully, my coworker hasn't used any quotations that are over-the-top "convert or suffer the flames of Perdition", which would be the equivalent of what you have posted.

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2015

Me too. People with Bible quotes as their email signature or who have Bible quotes up in their classroom or at their desk doesn't bother me, persoanlly.

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2015

It might bother me as a Black woman, but I would ignore. I don't have the time to go complaining to Admin about a co-worker's email signature.

14. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 9, 2015

But for someone who it did bother and who did have the time, do you think they would have the RIGHT?

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 9, 2015

There are a lot of things that don't bother me personally that I still recognize as wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.