Religion in faculty emails

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 8, 2015

This is something that has been bothering me for a while. I am the one non-Christian member of my teaching team (I'm Jewish). The math teacher on my team uses a rotating series of bible quote "signatures" in his emails to faculty and staff (students are on a separate email program). Some of them are more on the uplifting side, but many of them are religious to the point that I feel uncomfortable. When I've mentioned it to the math teacher in the past, his answer was that he deliberately chose bible quotes that didn't mention Jesus.

Has anyone else had this kind of communication issue? How was this handled? I feel like I don't have the right to feel a little marginalized. For the record, the only reason my team knows I am Jewish is because I have taken off during certain holidays. My usual rule is to avoid discussing religion, politics, and UFOs. :whistle:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2015

I have had a similar issue at my school in the past. I actually brought it to the attention of administration. I am definitely NOT a tattletale, but the issue was not resolved to my satisfaction when I attempted to resolve it on my own. I felt that since I was essentially a captive audience, forced to read the coworker's emails with the offending content, the situation needed to be resolved. As long as what my coworkers do doesn't really impact me, I don't care much about what they do. When it does impact me, such as essentially forcing me to be a participant in their proselytizing or evangelizing, then I do care.

In my situation, admin resolved the issue immediately. The other teacher got annoyed with me and didn't talk to me ever again at school. Not a huge loss, really.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2015

I have no clue whatsoever as to the religion of any of the 60 or so staff members who work at my school.

I like it that way.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 8, 2015

Flaunting one's religion in the signature of work emails is less unprofessional than is flaunting one's sexual activities, but not by much. The coworker needs to stop, now.

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2015

One of my team members uses a quote from Ghandi, another a quote from Buddha.

I've never cared even a little bit.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 8, 2015

I've tried to go that route, Rockguykev, but it HAS begun to bother me a little more each week, perhaps because the quotations have become less on the inspirational end of things and more toward the evangelizing side.

8. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jan 8, 2015

If the sender is using district email to send religious information, it may actually be unlawful. You might want to ask your union rep about it.

It would drive me crazy to get emails like that.

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 8, 2015

I agree, it is sloppy.

I believe you have the right to
    1. say something to admin to have it "fixed"
    2. have the right to block this persons e-mails and someone other than you would be resposible for getting the information to you in a proper e-mail.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2015

I agree it's best the coworker know that s/he is making others uncomfortable with the quotes, but I'm not seeing this as 'flaunting' nor do I see the parallel to sharing sexual exploits.:confused:

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 8, 2015

I know some people at work have "signatures" at the bottom of their emails. I do noticed they are in "quotes" but other than that I can't tell you what they say since I never bother reading them. I'm not sure how I would personally go about bringing it up since most people would say to just ignore it.

12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jan 8, 2015

While I am a devoted Christian, I have to completely agree with you. This teacher should not be sending bible quotes to non-Christian teammates period. I am even more bothered that this teacher still didn't seem to listen to you that you don't want any bible passage after you brought it to him/her. If you can stomach it, I hope you can somehow have another talk with this person and I hope he/she listens to you. Good luck!

13. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Jan 8, 2015

I don't know. Most districts have a disclaimer saying this email is confidential and does not reflect the opinion of the district. I never bought this argument that someone feeling marginalized is a reason to limit another's self expression. I feel marginalized at staff meetings when everyone breaks out in Spanish for 30 minutes, but I wouldn't dare complain. I think this is something you shouldn't give that much attention to.

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 8, 2015

Teachers shouldn't be evangelizing in their emails to other staff members. I take it that you do not work in a religious school. It's unprofessional. You've made your appeal to this person and they only continued to do it. I'd make a complaint with my admin.

15. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 8, 2015

Why not put some Jewish quotes in yours and call it even?

16. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jan 8, 2015

This would be unprofessional.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.