Regrouping Activities

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by newelmteach, Jul 30, 2007.

1. newelmteach

newelmteach New Member

Jul 30, 2007

I am teaching an Advanced Math Course to gifted second graders next year, my first unit is regiruping using additon and subtraction (borrowing and carrying). Does anyone have any fun games or activities I could use with this unit?

Thanks,

Trish

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 30, 2007

I teach High School Social Studies so I am really no help, but I am sure some other teachers would be able to help. But Welcome!

4. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

I do not know any specific activities but here is a cute poem for 2-digit subtraction:

More on the floor,
    go next door and borrow 10 more
    More on the top,
    no need to stop

5. Cindy5522

Cindy5522 Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Box it/Bag it Math has a great hands on launch pad/spaceship activity for regrouping. I don't have my materials here at home to explain it. You might be able to google it or find someone in your school that has the materials. It was a lot of fun. The students have a Mission with mission controls rules that are the rules for when to regroup.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

You can use base 10 blocks for a good hands-on, concrete lesson. Model the problems. I did this with a gifted 1st grader going into 2nd and she did well.

7. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

I use this too-just a bit different on the 2nd line-go next door, get 10 more. We have motions that go with it too and it works so well-the repeat it all the time, teach their parents and their 3rd grade teachers.

8. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

I like that little poem. I'll have to remember it. I don't know how many times I have said, Bigger Bottom...Borrow. My face isn't blue yet so apparently, not enough. LOL

9. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

What are your motions?

10. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

My class last year did really well with Base 10 blocks. I'd have them show me a number, say 45 for example. Then, I ask them to give me 17. They can give me 15, but since they don't have any more ones cubes, they traded in a tens long for 10 more cubes. With a few days of practice, they were getting it. Tough concept, but definitely use something tangible.

11. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

We stand to do it.

More on the top-point up
    No need to stop-wag your finger and then hold out palm for stop
    More on the floor-point down
    Go next door-reach both hands over shoulder (where tens would be)
    Get 10 more-wiggle ten fingers.

12. touchlives

touchlives New Member

Aug 2, 2007

I hope this makes sense! Train Cars and Trains for Regrouping

In one of my education classes, my teacher stapled two different colors of construction paper together. One side, the right, was labeled CARS or TRAIN CAR Garage and (ones or ones place). The second side was labeled TRAINS and (tens place).

The way it worked was the teacher would give problems like 7+4, or 7+14, and the students would have blocks or manipulatives to work with. They would put that amount in the correct place and then add the CARS first and then the TRAINS. However, the rule was, the CARS would hook together to make a train, and it would be a full train as soon as it got to ten cars. The trains were not allowed to stay in the CARS garage or tunnel after there were ten train cars (in the ones place), so then they choo-choo over to the tens place. When you do this, show how the units, or ones are connected to make a long (ten units together). The students add the trains together and that is what is in the tens place.

Then they can count the trains in the tens place and the cars in the ones place, and that is their answer.