Regrets...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Leatherneck for Life, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Leatherneck for Life

Leatherneck for Life Rookie

Sep 12, 2017

I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention. I did what I had to do, and saw it through without exemption. Though sadly, I did not plan each charted course and careful step along the byway, but still, despite all that, I did it my way (with some help from my wife).

Okay, that's enough. Do you have any professional/career regrets? Are you happy where you are now? I would have become a teacher someday no matter what, but if circumstances were different, I would have stayed in the Corps another four years, and possibly would have served a tour as a drill instructor. I started too young to be a teacher. I let certain things affect me personally because of past experiences when I should have blocked it out once playing my part.

Do you have any career-related regrets?

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2017

I accepted a job and later could have scored a better one but would have had to resign from the job I just accepted so I didn't. I should have just gone back on my word lol.

4. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 12, 2017

I regret that I didn't return to school earlier in life. I was in my mid-40s, with a family, still raising children before returning to college. Should have done it much, much sooner.

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  5. Dirt

Dirt New Member

Sep 12, 2017

Last year, I quit my job of 15 years. Been unemployed since. Should have found a new job first.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2017

I looked at your other posts and saw you are rather new and haven't been working in education yet. Perhaps you should focus on getting into another position in your former field before you end up with a huge gap in your resume before finding a teaching position. Especially since you are unsure if you're capable of passing the math portion of CBEST.

7. Dirt

Dirt New Member

Sep 12, 2017

Too late. I'm on month 15.

edit: my wife is a grade school teachers, she's been pushing me to become a sub.

8. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Rookie

Sep 12, 2017

I regret that I didn't get my teaching credential when I finished college. I worked full time in an unrelated field for several years to get rid of debt. Then when I went back for my credential, it was as the economy was tanking in 2008. I'm still suffering professionally for it.

DAH likes this.
  9. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Sep 12, 2017

I used to regret many things in life - especially academic / professional choices. Then I realized that had I never pursued what I did, there always would have been that "what if?".
    Had you stayed in the Marine Corps for another 4 years, life might have taken you in a different direction and you might be wondering "what if I pursued teaching earlier?"
    We learn life's lessons from our regrets. That's what's important.

I saw a quote on LinkedIn today:
    "You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending." C.S. Lewis. It is never too late to do something good:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 3:10 PM
    Leatherneck for Life likes this.
  10. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Sep 12, 2017

Other than questioning if I should have been an ed. major to begin with, I have two big things I would have done differently had I known what I know now. I would have turned down my student teaching placement even if it meant having to do an extra semester and I would have split my credential. My original placement fell through in Oct.? Nov.? and I felt like if I didn't accept what I knew was a poor placement I'd get stuck paying a lot of money because my scholarship was only good for four years. It was pretty close to the worst-case scenario experience and I could have leveraged a few things to get my scholarship extended. I should have split my credential (I'm k-12) since you can only split when you apply the first time, but I didn't think I'd need a second endorsement to get a job. Heck, I still don't know if the extra endorsement will help.

But, you learn and move on. . . . or build a time machine!

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:03 AM

All the more reason to go back now. You made it seem like you were far from passing the test. Subbing won't do anything for you unless you pass the test and eventually become a teacher.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:38 AM

There are always things one could have done differently. However, I figure if I learn something from everything I've ever done, then all is good. I won't let the "what ifs" cloud my now.

Upsadaisy, DAH and vickilyn like this.
  13. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:32 AM

I couldn't have said it better. We learn as much from what went wrong as what seemingly went right. My life motto has been "Expect the unexpected." We always learn - sometimes we simply learn what was unexpected.

Upsadaisy and DAH like this.
  14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:15 PM

Of course I have moments I regret - times I have been harsh when I should have responded gently. But overall, every lesson and moment has brought me to this point and shaped the teacher I have become. You just have to let it go and move on, since I can't re-do any of it.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:50 PM

Not really any regrets with my education. Regarding jobs, each one, I had to do at the time and that was that.

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:46 PM

It's hard to say, since there is no way to know how things would turn out if different choices were made.

I left an amazing school after my first two years of teaching because I hated where I was living. The job I got when I relocated was truly awful. That year was extremely difficult for me, but I do think there is some truth to the phrase "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger." People at my current school often comment on how I am always so calm/collected and that nothing seems to stress me out. After the horrible things I experienced at my previous school, I feel like I can do anything and have learned to appreciate the good things and not sweat the small stuff.

On the other hand, that experience has also made me extremely wary of change, because I'm terrified that I'll end up back in a situation like that. For example, we got a new P/AP this year and I was anxious all summer because I was afraid they'd be like my previous horrible admin. I also don't like the direction my district is going in with some big things, but I'm afraid to look for another job because I could end up at a school like my previous one.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  17. rpan

rpan Comrade

Sep 18, 2017 at 5:54 AM

I think I've regretted things at the time when they happened, but looking back in hindsight, I don't. Because I'm stronger, tougher, wiser and better for it. This applies to my personal and professional life.

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 18, 2017 at 7:56 AM

I'm the sum total of my mistakes and the lessons I learned from them, so I do my best to live without regret.

MrsC likes this.