Reference letter from principal

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by truzella, Feb 21, 2010.

1. truzella

truzella New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Feb 21, 2010

I taught about two years ago and it was not a good experience. There was absolutely no help or guidance (very long story). Many things occurred but at the end of the day I was released from my contract with no prejudice. I may have an opportunity to teach in another county, however, I must provide a letter of reference from my principal.

1) How should I structure the letter where I am requesting a reference? (doesn't seem that a typical format would work in this situation)

2) Obviously, I will not be at the top of the list of important things for her to do....what is the protocol for follow-up?

3) I am braced to receive a negative reference letter; however, if anyone has thoughts or suggestions of how to turn a lemon into lemonade I am open to your comments.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2001
    Feb 21, 2010

Dear Principal X:

As you may remember, I was employed by X school from September #### through June ####. While I was released from my contract at the end of that year, I look back on my time at X School and appreciate all that I learned there.
    I am currently seeking employment in the Y county school system. As part of the application process, I am required to submit letters of recommendation from former administrators. I am hoping you would be willing to help fulfill this requirment. A pre-addressed stamped envelope is attached. If you need any further information regarding this request, you can contact me at:
    Thank you for your anticipated help with this request.

Good luck with this. :)