Recommended for hire, now what?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by BrianaMarie, Apr 16, 2019.

1. BrianaMarie

BrianaMarie New Member

Apr 16, 2019

Hi everyone!

A little background first. I interviewed for a position on Monday (April 8). I received a call the following day from the head of the team who interviewed me (the AP) informing me that they were impressed by me and would like to call my references. I received a call the following day (Wednesday) from the AP again informing me that he heard only good things from my references. He proceeded to verbally offer me the position, to which I replied yes and accepted! He told me that he would be moving forward with my recommendation and would be putting my paperwork through to be approved by the board (no mention of HR). My question now, is, what does this mean exactly? Should I be expecting a call from HR, or will I just be pushed through to be voted on at the next board meeting? How long do you suppose it would take for paperwork to be processed? I would email the AP these questions, but the district he works in is currently on spring break and my mind is in a spiral!

I have read many horror stories of something randomly going wrong and of people not receiving the position even after a verbal offer and recommendation D: Any comforting words would be nice, as would some confirmation as to what I should be expecting next!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 16, 2019

What you're going through is normal. Unfortunately, there sometimes is a major gap between the verbal offer and the formal one. Do you know when the next board meeting is? They're usually open to the public, so maybe you can attend and celebrate quietly in your seat when the vote goes through.

4. BrianaMarie

BrianaMarie New Member

Apr 16, 2019

I do! The next board meeting is Wednesday of next week (April 24). Unfortunately I will be out of town; however, the agenda/documents are published to the public, so the entire list of approved hires/rehires will be posted the following day. I am in a very large district, so there is often a long list for the board to approve at meetings!

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Apr 16, 2019

The list may be long, but the approval process is mostly just formality. That's the best news.