Recommended Balanced Literacy Programs

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MMRbella, Nov 23, 2009.

1. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Nov 23, 2009

My district is looking to select a new reading program for grades K-2. They want a balanced literacy approach. I'm on the committee, and would like to come to the table with a few suggestions.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

3. grade2rocks

grade2rocks Rookie

Nov 30, 2009

We use Mondo. We've just begun this fall, so I don't know if I whole-heartedly recommend it- time will tell...

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2009

Does it have to be a packaged program? If not, how about Reading and Writing Workshop?

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 30, 2009

I have come to love the Daily Five myself.

I agree with czacza though... I'm not sure I like the idea of a balanced literacy program.

ETA: I mean a packaged balanced literacy program. I like the idea of a balanced literacy program :lol:

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2009

Any good literacy program should be balanced, right? We've been saying that in my district...we have a balanced approach, just not the Big B, Big L program....

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 30, 2009

Exactly. I just spent quite a bit of time discussing our balanced literacy approach in an interview today. The principal was very happy with my use of the word "balanced". Definitely important in any good Literacy approach.

8. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Nov 30, 2009

Whatever program you choose, I would make sure that there is a heavy emphasis on phonics, especially in kindergarten. I'm a second grade teacher and am so tired of getting half my class at the beginning of the year with next to phonics skills at all. I realize your school is wanting to go with a balanced literacy approach but I think it would be wise to look into some sort of systematic phonics program as well. England uses synthetic phonics which is shown to be very helpful.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 1, 2009

Word study, word work, and phonics instruction meaningfullly integrated (not taught in isolation) are part of any balanced approach.

10. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Dec 2, 2009

All too often I have seen classrooms that attempt a balanced literacy program, but the phonics instruction is not intensive enough in kindergarten. I'm just saying it would be wise to look into how other countries choose to teach English. England has switched over to synthetic phonics teaching which is remarkably different from what we do here in America. Rather than teaching 26 letter names and sounds in kindergarten, they teach the 44 phonemes of the English language. This really helps students as they move up into first and second grade. I have yet to see any decent American program that focuses on teaching kindergarteners the phonemes of our language over just the 26 letters.

11. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2009

I am not clear if you are asking for a CORE program or something in addition, but we are using Pearson, who bought out Scott Foresman, and they are using the sythetic phonics as described above. I am student teaching in a second grade and there is still a lot of phonemic awareness in the daily plan. It is a rigorous program though and tough on testing and grades. We are not sure if we like it or not.

12. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2009

Look into Lucy Calkins Reading and Writing Project. It is based at Columbia's Teachers College in NYC and my school has been using it for years!! The program incorporates a balanced approach to teaching reading and writing including Reading workshop, writing workshop, word study, shared reading, shared writing, interactive read aloud and much more. All of the units of study are given to you for each month of the year fully planned and thought out. Look into it, it is one of the best programs out there! (Keep in mind that Lucy Calkins publishes books around reading/writing workshop which your school can buy, but if you want to get the full benefit of her program your school would have to become a "project school".)