recess/nap time

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by k5202, Jul 17, 2004.

1. k5202

k5202 Rookie

Jul 17, 2004

I have been teaching kindergarten for 6 years. There have been many changes since I first began teaching K. I would like to know if other school systems have also implemented any of these changes and what teachers think of them.

For ex: Students are no longer allowed a nap time.
    We no longer are allowed a recess. Our curriculum is so
    stretched we are told there isn't time for it. Students do get P.E.,
    however last year Kindergartners did not go to P.E. until 2:25.
    We are a full day program 8:10-3:10 and kindergatners stay all day
    beginning the first week of school which begins on a Monday. When
    I first began teaching the students came for half-days for the first 2
    weeks.

I would like your opinions and your own experiences with such routines and structures. My opinion is they (school board educators and administrators) have totally forgotten that these children are just 5 years old and are not considering their developmental needs.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 18, 2004

Do the other grades in your school get recess? If so, what's the rationale for K's not getting it? Can you at least do an active game or something midway thruogh the morning to get them up and going? Do they have recess opposite lunch?

Most of the schools in my area only do half-day K programs... although I'm interviewing at a school on Tuesday that offers both full-day and half-day, which I find interesting.

4. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 18, 2004

We can not take a nap time. Although at the beginning of the year, I give them a short rest time. If they happen to fall asleep, I let them. I don't wake them up. If they need the sleep, they are not going to learn anything anyway. After about the first 6 weeks, I cut out the rest time as well. We are allowed recess once a day. Two years ago, we were only allowed recess once a week. I am glad that was changed last year. These little guys need to get out and run around. Besides, they are still developing their gross motor skills. We, too, are full day. But we usually start on a Thursday so we have a staggered start for K. Half the class comes on Thursday, the other comes on Friday. The following Monday, they all come. That way were only have to deal with half the class for routines and procedures those first days. It does make it so much easier.

5. k5202

k5202 Rookie

Jul 18, 2004

Other grades do not get recess either. The reasoning behind it, sad as I think it is, is that we have too much to teach and there isn't time in the day for it. I do get the kids up and moving when they need it with music and movement c.d.'s or lead them in stretching exercises.

6. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jul 18, 2004

WOW! I can't believe you don't have rest time or recess. The poor little kids and you. I taught full day Kindergarten and we had a 45 minute rest time after lunch and a morning and afternoon recess. Although all my kids did not rest, we had Rest and Read time. The kids got to take several books to their rest spots and read to themselves. They loved this! I have heard of others doing Rest, Write and Read, but I haven't actually done that. I could have done without rest time and my Principal supported that if I chose to go without, however, I can't begin to imagine Kdg. children not being given recess. I feel that my boys especially needed the time to get out some of their energy and aggression.

How is behavior in a Kdg. classroom with no recess and no rest?

Where do you live? Is this a state wide trend? Just curious.

7. k5202

k5202 Rookie

Jul 18, 2004

It is very hard to teach after about 1:00. They become restless. I squeezed in as much teaching as possible last year before lunch which began at 10:35. Hopefully, this year our lunch time will be later. If in the afternoon I feel I'm teaching to the wall I don't hold it against them, we just go to centers. I live in South Alabama This is only a county trend, that I am aware of.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2004

I teach full day kindergarten. We have a snack break in the morning plus whatever special we have. We rest immediately after lunch for about 1hour, depending on the group and the day. We then finish any work that we need to. We play if we have time. Friday afternoons, after nap is play time, I don't care if the work doesn't get done. Depending on how things go earlier in the week, play time is the last part of the day Thursday (we have a special the 2nd to last hour).

I tried letting them have recess in the morning, but alot of them just don't function well in the afternoon. So for last year's group we worked in the a.m., finished things in the p.m. and the rest of the p.m. was play time.

9. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Jul 19, 2004

Our kindergarten classes are only half day, so we are not aloud to have nap times, or recess time. I completely understand this though, being a kindergarten teacher, it's so hard to fit everything in every day in a short period of only 2 hours. Sometimes, on Fridays we take them out for 20 minutes but other than that, they get none.
    ~Tara

10. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 19, 2004

Wow, I can't believe that either. My guys get recess everyday after lunch for about 15-20 minutes. The whole school gets recess k-8th.
    When it is raining or snowing it is hard on them because they need to run around.After recess they get 20-30 minutes of rest time when they can lie down or do a quiet activity.

11. SarahSeitz

SarahSeitz Rookie

Aug 2, 2004

I teach in South Alabama. Our county changed the way rest/nap time was handled about 4 or 5 years ago. We decided that the children would still be tired and want to rest when they arrived in first grade if we didn't do something about it. We are on a quarter system and each quarter remove 15 minutes of the quiet time. We begin with 60 minutes, and gradually move to 15 at the end of the year. The extra time is filled with stories, games, movement, literacy centers or catch up on what couldn't be completed earlier in the day.
    My school is fortunate that the k p.e. is in the middle of the day. Recess has been removed, but we do have snack/play (about 15 minutes). I try to included activities that can be written into a lesson plan that involve going outdoors and moving.
    Practicing writing on the sidewalk, games that go along with the themes. Creativity!!!

12. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Aug 2, 2004

I teach all day K. My principal is very supportive. She says get reading, writing, and math done in the A.M. Then the rest of the day take it easy. I have recess 3 times a day. (A short time to be off task and learn to play.) I had a time for nap until Christmas. Then after that I let the students do centers during that time.

We do not have any specials for K. An aide came during rest time so I could take a 30 minute break. I had to leave the room so it wasn't a very productive break. I am fighting for specials.

13. k5202

k5202 Rookie

Aug 2, 2004

I like the way you do nap time....maybe, if I run it by my principal we could work something similar out...even though these changes were set by the board, perhaps my principal would work with us.

Thanks!
    K5202

14. k5202

k5202 Rookie

Aug 2, 2004

recess/ nap time

This is in response to Sarah Seitz.

15. MJH

MJH Companion

Aug 2, 2004

Nap/Recess

In TN it is mandated by the state that K gets a 45 minute nap the first semester and 30 minutes the second semester. The state also mandates that K gets 15 of unorganized play time, recess. Many principals in my district have tried to tell K teachers that they could not take a nap or have recess but we quickly remind them that it is mandated by the state and they have to give in.

You may want to check to see if your state mandates nap or recesss time for K and then inform your principal. Many new K teachers don't realize that some states have specific mandates especially for K because at the time they were made K was more like a pre-k program and not necessarily academic. One day this mandate will be removed here but until then I will enjoy the nap time and the kids will enjoy the recess time.

16. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Aug 2, 2004

Hello,

One way that some teachers here have gotten around not having rest is to have Chapter Book Time. The class is invited to bring a "cuddle buddy" and they lay down on rug and the teachers reads a chapter book for about 20 each day. This exposes the class to literature they wouldn't have time for otherwise, which is how they justify the time.

17. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 2, 2004

Our Ks watch a video after lunch, lay on the big rug, have a pillow --bring pillows from home and keep in their lockers (except during video time) If they go to sleep it's ok, until time for the next activity. Videos are stories, nursery rhymes, visiting the zoo, Africa animals, --educational, but students aren't behind if they nap.

18. k5202

k5202 Rookie

Aug 3, 2004

Thank you for all your responses. It's been very interesting to read them all and share them with other teachers at my school. I like the way some of you utilize recess and nap time so that the students are still learning or practicing certain skills. Hopefully, as long as my students are listening to a story (chapter book or writing with sidewalk chalk outside) we can get our quiet time and recess this way.

K5202