Really upset about a bad decision I made. Don't know what to do.

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by flateacher, Oct 11, 2017.

1. flateacher

flateacher Rookie

Oct 11, 2017

I am new to teaching high school (9th) after many years at the elementary level. I made a really stupid decision and I am really having a hard time. I am the class sponsor and I let a student take a silly picture of me in white sunglasses that are "clout" glasses--still not 100% sure what this means--I thought it meant fame/respect. I have a feeling this is making its way on student social media--no confirmation but I don't know--I just kind of feel it. My daughter is in the grade above and she has not said anything to me. I am not telling her bc she will probably die of embarrassment. I just am really mad at myself--I should not have done that--I really don't know what I was thinking. I thought it was something innocent/fun...ugh. If this is going around, is there anything I can even do?? I go home every night so mad at myself and so anxious. Did I just ruin my year/career?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2017

If it's out there, there's nothing you can do about it at this point. I would tell my administrator--a principal I have utmost respect for always told the staff that he would rather hear about any "missteps" from us first before he found out another way. I'm not sure of any meaning behind the glasses; that fad hasn't made it's way here. As a word of advice, if the need to take "silly" pictures arises, be sure that it is something you plan, not something that the students come to you with.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 11, 2017

I don't think this a big deal at all. Clout glasses are a particular style of glasses that are becoming popular again. They don't have any nefarious meaning. The only negative thing I can think of is that they are strongly associated with Kurt Cobain, but I don't know why that's a problem. Students have pictures of me wearing far sillier attire, such as during dress-up days, or just in my class. This is not an issue, I assure you.

Bioguru and Mshope2012 like this.
  5. autumnbrooks

autumnbrooks Rookie

Oct 11, 2017

It's probably making the rounds because it's a fun picture, and it makes you likeable. Really don't worry about it :) I don't think there are any negative connotations with those glasses...

Bioguru likes this.
  6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2017

According to http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=clout
    It's pretty much what we know it means.
    Any time I don't understand something, I turn to Urban dictionary.
    :)
    I just hope they don't send the picture around and alter it and/or add captions... make it a meme or whatever... THAT would be the issue.

7. flateacher

flateacher Rookie

Oct 11, 2017

That is what I am nervous about!!!! But I just don't know if there is anything I can do?

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 11, 2017

Some of our teachers are memes, including a picture of our former principal. She thought it was hilarious. I really think this is not a big deal.

Bioguru likes this.
  9. flateacher

flateacher Rookie

Oct 11, 2017

Thank you I appreciate your viewpoint. Honestly I just feel so sick over this like I ruined my year. I guess also bc I really don't know what's out there. I am trying to just go on with life but it is tough.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2017

I'm confused as to why this is an issue...? I mean, unless sunglasses were the only thing you were wearing, I fail to see how this is even a blip on the ol' radar.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 11, 2017

Hahaha, Caesar. Is there any student whom you trust? If so, you could ask if there was anything embarrassing about the pic that you are unaware of. If no, just forget it.

12. flateacher

flateacher Rookie

Oct 11, 2017

Lol thank you I'm really trying to gain perspective. I don't know I guess I just don't trust what they are doing with the picture.

13. flateacher

flateacher Rookie

Oct 11, 2017

Possibly i am going to listen and see if I hear anything. I don't want to make a bigger issue out of something if it's not that big of a deal.but I'm already doing that in my head.

14. flateacher

flateacher Rookie

Oct 11, 2017

And I was nervous these glasses had some underlying meaning that I was labeling myself with... Though sounds like that is not the case.

15. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Oct 11, 2017

They've become popular with some rappers right now and the kids probably just think it's funny. I don't see why it would be a problem and I'm sure your P has more important things to deal with. (And if "photos of a teacher wearing sunglasses" are the biggest thing your P has to deal with, then they got the easiest school job on the planet.)

16. RWorld1

RWorld1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2017

Don't worry about it too much. It's not like you've been caught doing something punishable or truly embarrassing. All you've done is put on a pair of funny glasses. If anything that's pretty cool you're a teacher who takes things lightly.

Another perspective. How the children react will is also in your hands.

I remember many years ago my friend had too many drinks and vomitted on the floor. He was so drunk that he went ahead and began to lick the vomit (disgusting image I know!).

Anyway boys being boys, we were ready to make fun of him the next time we saw him. Even to the point that we'd been calling each other making jokes and how funny it was going to be when we crack a few jokes at his expense.

Anyway next time came and he owned it! We began with a few wisecracks, and he laughed along and even threw in a few jokes of his own. It totally defused our attempts to mess around with him.

Long story short, you have some control in this. If you handle I have a gut feeling if you handle this right this will mean nothing.

Good luck!

17. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2017 at 6:55 AM

I have dressed up insanely for most dress down days. If someone took a picture it might look weird but it goes with the job. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd avoid it in the future.