Really need your help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by manolo, Oct 18, 2012.

1. manolo

manolo New Member

Oct 18, 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm a French primary school teacher. One of my pupils (10 years old) is English, she's perfectly bilingual. When I teach English to the children, it's obviously boring for her, she knows everything! I mean the vocabulary, grammar...
    She spent only 1 year in England, so she mostly knows oral English. She struggles with writing and reading. That's why I think it would be interesting for her to develop those skills. What do you think?

I was thinking about giving her a news article for example, with few questions. She will have to read and understand the text, then make a sentence to answer the questions. Where can I find that kind of articles? Do you have any that you can send to me?

Do you also have games, like crosswords?

Any other ideas that could help me?

Thanks for your help.
    Manu

PS: sorry if there are grammar mistakes in my message.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2012

Do you get an English newspaper (or can you)? I would definitely look into having her read books in English as well. Maybe try checking out a few resources from the library?

You can also find many short stories with an internet search.

4. manolo

manolo New Member

Oct 18, 2012

Well our school is in a very remote area so I think it' gonna be hard to find any.

The only books I have in English are the ones I studied at university: Shakespeare, Wilde... Definitely too hard for her!

At the library, they have "The very hungry caterpillar" or "brown bear"... That's the kind of books I use for my pupils. But those books would sound too childish for her.

Great idea! Do you have any references to give me? Or a famous author for example?

Thanks for your help.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2012

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 18, 2012

I think even this website has printable stories! Using the tabs at the top you can find worksheets, little printable thematic books, and so forth.

7. Bayleigh

Bayleigh New Member

Oct 18, 2012

You can find most newspaper articles online as well. My daughter goes to a website and makes her own crossword puzzles.

8. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Oct 19, 2012

Tweentribune.com has high interest stories you may like for your students.