Really cool "Get to know you" exercises

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by firemaple, Nov 22, 2007.

1. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Aug 14, 2009

Please email me this packet as well. I would like to do something new. I will PM with my email. Thanks!

2. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2009

A variation of that game is a game called A Warm Wind Blows (I think). The chairs are arranged in a circle (although other arrangements will work too) with one chair too few, like in musical chairs. You start by saying a warm wind blows... And then your get to know you question e.g. A warm wind blows for people who are wearing tennis shoes. Everyone wearing tennis shoes has to get up and find a new seat. The person still standing asks the next question. You can have a list of questions printed up, or they can come up with their own. It's always more fun when the teacher plays too!

3. tinkerljh

tinkerljh Rookie

Aug 19, 2009

I played a game in college that I thought was great. The teacher started with "my name is Stephanie & I like summer" The next person then says "My name is lisa & I like Lions. And that's Stephanie Summer" Then the next person goes, each person says there name and one object starting with the same first letter of their first name. Each person has to say everyone before them. The important part is the teacher must start! When everyone has gone you either remember their names or objects. Its a great way for the students to get to know each others names as well as you.

4. Funteach55

Funteach55 Rookie

Aug 20, 2009

I came on here today looking for this too, I'd love the packet too Silverspoon
    thanks!

5. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

I assign a project called "Sophomore (or freshman, junior, senior, etc.) Legacies." I stole the idea from the yearbook where senior's write about their favorite memories, quotes, etc.

I require it to be typed and to include information like: favorite movie, book, vacation, etc.

And since I do A LOT of public speaking exercises in my class, I make them read it aloud to the class and the rest of the class has to peer edit.

My student's love the project---just not the public speaking, but that's OK with me.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 23, 2009

Soccer Dad, I like that idea. Kind of on that same yearbook line, I used to make my journalism kids pick one question that they wanted to ask their classmates. Everyone had to have a different question, and they had to contain choices (at least 4 no more than 10). Then they surveyed the class and made a nifty infographic of the information. We displayed them around the room as a "get to know you."

I had my English class do an adaption of this (with a little more guidance on choosing a survey question, even giving them a list of possible questions), and then they wrote a profile of the typical "X High" student. It's a great way to introduce characterization, too.

7. hardrain27

hardrain27 Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

I'd love the package as well, silverspoon. It sounds fantastic.

8. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 25, 2009

We had a new teacher orientation today, with Dr. Harry Wong and Rosemary Wong (First Days of School authors) as the speakers.

I had to chuckle because I was reading some of his articles on the internet and came across this one about the toilet paper activity:

This example is so incredulous that you may think it’s fiction. It’s not. It is a true situation.

Elise, a new teacher on her first day of school, brought in a roll of toilet paper. Everyone took as much as they wanted without knowing what the assignment was. She kept it a "juicy little secret!" Then, they had to tell one thing about themselves for each sheet of paper. What a disaster!

1. Students started giving "inappropriate" information about themselves.
    2. The self proclaimed "class clown" that took almost 25 sheets had to
    make up 25 silly things to say!
    3. The terribly shy student had to suffer through making up 5 things.

What a mistaken use of valuable class time. The classroom collapsed. Needless to say, she was miserable and left teaching after two days and is a telemarketer today.