Really cool "Get to know you" exercises

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by firemaple, Nov 22, 2007.

1. firemaple

firemaple Companion

Nov 22, 2007

I'm a new English teacher starting next week. I just wanted to pick everyone's brain to see what ideas there are out there.

The class contains students from 9-12 grades (Dept. of Juv. Justice).

I plan on introducing myself and then having the students introduce themselves. Then I thought about pairing them and having them interview each other and then stand up and introduce the person they interviewed.

Finally, I thought I might give a writing assignment with a "introductory" type question. Such as, "If you could be an animal, what would it be and why" ?

These are just preliminary ideas. I'm open to suggestions. :)

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2007

If you PM me with your email, I can send you a whole packet that I did for a workshop awhile ago.

4. KDS

KDS Companion

Nov 25, 2007

i would love the packet as well

i always took attendance each day by asking the question of the day. i only wanted a simple answer (so no "Why? portion...but sometimes used them later in journal/essays) to get kids used to talking. I would start with "Whats your favorite color?" and then a new one each day.
    (ie: What type of movie do you like? Dislike?....i also had theme weeks for holidays...Who would you want to be your Valentine? all sorts of good stuff...but trust me...toward the end of the year...the questions were silly...)

I did have the kids keep the list of QoDay's too. That way they could exchange ideas when i wanted them to introduce each other to class etc.

5. firemaple

firemaple Companion

Nov 25, 2007

I received the packed from SilverSpoon and it's awesome. I hope Silverspoon doesn't me bragging on her, but the packet she developed has some great stuff. I love the toilet paper idea and will be using it on my first day in the class on Monday.

Since I know some of you will wonder what the toilet paper idea is: Pass a roll of toilet paper out and tell the class to take as much or as little as they want and then after everyone has some toilet paper, tell them they must give one fact for every square they grabbed.

Thanks Silverspoon. I'll let you know how it goes over with the class.

Jim

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2007

the thing i love about the toilet paper activity is that students you can tell a lot about the kids by what they take. The kid that takes so much that its wrapped around his arm just to be silly is your class clown. The one who takes one scare is your wise*** who is trying to beat the system (and I mean that in an affectionate way, those are my favorite students...). See who looks at their friends and takes the same amount as them. Its interesting.

7. trina

trina Companion

Nov 28, 2007

I play the stand up game. I will call out a fact, and if it applies to them, they stand up. Examples- if you have a brother, if you have a cat, if you have braces, if you hate broccoli, if you have ever thrown up at school...etc. As you see, once they are "warmed up" I get really crazy with the questions. What happens is that you can then stop and have them tell the story behind it. Example- if you've ever broken a bone, then have them tell what bone and how

8. t777a

t777a New Member

Aug 17, 2008

how do i email you i would love this packet thank sooo much

9. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I start out the year with a "Getting to Know You" letter. They write a letter to me sharing things they want me to know about them. It is a window into their world AND I get a writing sample right off the bat to assess where I need to begin!

10. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

We just had this discussion, see the: First Day Icebreaker Thread It is in the same forum as this one, Secondary. There are some good ideas there, too.

11. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I had to do this in college - the first day of orientation! Ha! I think its a great idea! Good Luck!!!!

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 17, 2008

I am doing the stand up game in fourth grade this year. It really is applicable for any age. What is contained within the packet?

13. msmath

msmath Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

I would love the packet!! Thanks!

14. SwedishLatino

SwedishLatino New Member

Aug 14, 2009

A package?

Oh, please, e-mail me one: serge74@hotmail.com!

by the way I live in Stockholm, and I teach English to kids in the ages of 12-15 and there´re coming back from the summer break next Thursday, 20th August, and we aim towards breaking the ice and get them ti think about different values and moral issues.

have a nice day everybody!

15. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 14, 2009

Please send me the packet as well! Last year, I played two truths and a lie. This year, I was thinking of "person bingo", but I'd love some new ideas!

16. lauranne26

lauranne26 Rookie

Aug 14, 2009

I just pmed you asking for the packet as well! Even though this is my 10th (eek!) year already, I'm always looking for new ideas!