Reality TV kids

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by jen12, Aug 27, 2011.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 27, 2011

Does anyone besides me wonder what the Toddlers and Tiaras kids are like in school? I mean, some of them are very young, but some are school aged...

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

I haven't had pageant kids, but I have had child actors and the children of famous parents. They were basically normal kids.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 27, 2011

I've never taught any myself, but when I attended this private school in L.A. as a child, I went to school w/ many rich kids. Some include actor Richard Thomas' triplet daughters & son. Others were about 5 kids of the Agaganians who own a racetrack. Another was the daughter of this radio DJ. Many others were kids of doctors, lawyers, etc. They were just regular kids.

My childhood best friend's parents were both lawyers, they had the mansion, nanny, guest home out back, pool, Jaguars shipped from Europe, etc.

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2011

I'm guessing most of the pageant kids can be little terrors just because of the environment, kowtowing, emphasis on how great they are, etc.

On the other hand, they could be happy to be in a more "normal environment" and love being in school. From the bits I've seen of the show, a lot of the kids are only doing it because they are pushed.

6. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 27, 2011

From the previews of "Dance Moms" it looks like forms of child abuse to me. I despise all of those shows. 'Dance moms' has the girls crying and everything. People are exploiting their kids for a buck but I guess that's nothing new.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 28, 2011

I don't watch Toddlers but I do watch Dance Moms.

My thought was when do they do their homework! They practice like 5 hours every day. :confused: And how much school do they miss traveling to competitions, etc? The emphasis in their lives at this age certainly doesn't seem to be an academic one because they are going to become famous and not need that kind of education.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2011

I have never taught any but living in Louisiana I have met many and their mothers. You realize that the saying that the nut does not fall far from the tree is very true!!

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 28, 2011

I worked at a summer camp for EXTREMELY wealthy kids. I had many children of famous people. I worked primarily with the youngest kids, and I didn't have a lot of issues with them. However, I don't know how the counselors in the older cabins did it. The kids were so entitled and disrespectful- I found in that sense all the stereotypes seemed to be true. I don't know how I would have dealt with the poor attitudes of our 15 year old campers all summer. I did love my little ones though- they were 7-9 and away from home for 8 weeks, so they tended to view us as their "temporary moms" and were very sweet most of the time. We definitely did still have some "entitlement" issues, but nothing that we couldn't reason with the kids about. I got really close to my campers and was always sad to see them go. I did sometimes wonder what they were like at school. I found that the one stereotype that didn't seem to be true was that these wealthy parents were neglectful of their kids. Most of my campers got multiple letters from their parents per day, and you could just tell from interacting with the parents that they truly cared about them. A lot of the parents attended the camp themselves, so it became somewhat of a family tradition. The camp hired from all over the world so I got to work with people from all over, which I really enjoyed. I actually loved the job. I had to quit going back two summers ago because I was looking for a teaching job and with basically being at the camp 24/7 (it was residential) and having no phone/computer access the great majority of the time, there was no way I could apply and go on interviews at the same time. I toyed with the idea of going back this past summer, but I literally would have had to leave the day that school got out, and would return a weekend before I needed to be back at work for pd days. I decided I needed some sort of a break, and I actually made the same amount of money I would have there just working 12 hours a week at ESY. It was nice!

10. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Aug 28, 2011

I had a pageant girl in my class once. She was a perfect student and the only way I knew was because she talked about it often. But even when she talked about it, she was very matter of fact like any other child would talk about playing soccer or doing some other after school activity.

As in all things I think it depends on the child.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 29, 2011

I used to wonder what the Kid Nation kids were like in school.

Dance Moms is my new guilty pleasure show. One of the moms does talk about spending money for private school tuition, so at least some of them do go to school. I'd imagine some are homeschooled, though.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 29, 2011

Dance Moms is split...the one mother just finished her Phd. She is a school administrator. The one mother (of the two girls and she works there) made a comment about school wasn't important--dance was going to make her daughter famous. I can't imagine paying a woman to degrade my child or to talk to me like I was a STUPID five year old. Abby talks down to the girls and the mothers. She also degrades and shames the mothers that stand up to her to their child. I wouldn't be part of her world.