Ready, Responsible, Respectful

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by teaching4God, Jul 31, 2008.

1. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 31, 2008

Has anyone ever used Be Ready, Responsible, Respectful for their class rules? Along with procedures does this cover it all. I am considering laying these down as the ground rules and letting the students as well as myself define them.

3. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

Any takers?

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2008

Is this a program of some kind? I haven't heard of it. I like the slogan a lot.

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 2, 2008

6. BioAngel

Aug 2, 2008

Based on that pdf I linked to, I'm going to be using the following for my classroom rules:

In this classroom, we have three simple rules:
    1. Be respectful 2. Be responsible 3. Be ready

BE RESPECTFUL
    You do not have the right to keep the teacher from teaching
    or the right to keep other students from learning

1. You may speak in class with permission. Talking when the teacher or
    another student is speaking is disrespectful.

2. Substitute teachers are our guests and will be treated with respect. Poor behavior will be dealt with when the teacher returns to class.

3. Students will be silent in the hallways during class trips to the library, the
    computer lab, etc. We need to respect those not in our class as well.

4. Everyone in the class has a valuable contribution to make and NEEDS to
    be heard. We can disagree with a person’s view without disrespecting the
    person. Do not be afraid to share your wisdom as well.

5. School-wide rules will also be respected and followed.

BE RESPONSIBLE
    Knowing this list will help you out of most jams

1. Passing off a copy of another student’s work as your own is NOT allowed and
    will earn 0%--- you will not be allowed to make up this assignment. Likewise passing off any published materials’ words without giving proper citation is prohibited and will earn 0%.

2. Students will be allowed only 4 bathroom passes per quarter--- USE THESE WISELY. You have to sign in and out before leaving class.

3. Pencils should ONLY be sharpened at the beginning of class--- BEFORE the teacher begins the class. (Bring extra sharpened pencils with you)

4. If you have missed class it is your responsibility to check for any missed
    work. Check with the teacher BEFORE or AFTER class only.

5. You must stay in your seat unless permission is given.

6. The teacher, not the bell, begins the class. Like wise, the teacher, not the bell, dismisses the class.

8. If you’re wondering how you’re doing in science class, ask the teacher!

9. Work shall be only in blue or black ink or in pencil. The work needs to be
    neat enough to read. If the teacher can’t read it, it will be counted as incorrect.

10. Be alert! Plans for upcoming lessons may be on the board. Know when
    assignments are due! Know when there are quizzes and tests! Please check in at Moodle if you have questions or unsure about an assignment.

BE READY
    Can you really learn if you are thinking about your science lab notes while
    bringing your math homework to social studies class ten minutes late?

1. Have everything you need for class that day with you when you enter the room--- you will not be allowed to leave to go get something.
    2. Late homework policy:
    * If you are absent for one day, you will have one day to make up the work. Please speak to the teacher if you need extra time for an assignment, I am more than willing to work with you about schedules.
    *10% off the first day late, 20% (total) off the second day, 0% the
    third day.
    *Should the problem continue, the teacher will confer with the rest of
    the teaching grade teachers to see if the problem is in more than one
    classroom. The teacher may also speak to your Advisor about any problems.
    *If the student chooses to continue, your Advisor or the teacher will notify parents/guardians with a note mailed home/e-mail or a phone call.

4. The classroom is a place of work (we are all professional scientists in this classroom)! When you are ready to begin work THEN you may enter the classroom. At the bell you will begin working on a question/activity or other work assigned by the teacher.

5. Check with your teachers to see what is available in case you finish any
    work early. Class time should not be wasted while you are waiting on
    others.

Adapted from: Gold Star Team Procedures by Mrs. Cory, Mrs. Kirsch, Mr. Parks, and Mr. Rich

7. BioAngel

Aug 2, 2008

Excuse my bad number in my example... I was cutting, pasting, and editing LOL

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

I'm a K teacher (definitely NOT 5th grade) but I use Be Safe, Be Responsible, Be Respectful and it really does cover everything. I've done the same sort of thing - present the 2 rules and then discuss with students what that actually looks like.

It might help with ownership, though, if you let students brainstorm rules and then, with your guidance, they can get combined and boiled down and end up falling into the headings of your 3 rules.

9. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Aug 2, 2008

This is from my school!!! lol

10. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

Thanks guys for all the help. I was thinking that it will help the students take ownership and I will let them know up fron that I will be adding things to it also. Would you just have them write their own ideas on paper and then go home and compile them all on a poster? (adding a few extras yourself)

11. BioAngel

Aug 3, 2008

Oh awesome :D Well you can tell them a 5th grade teacher in north Jersey will be using an adapted version of theirs :up:

12. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Aug 3, 2008

They will love it!!!:lol:

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 5, 2008

We use the 3 R's-readiness, responsibility and respect. It is a school wide discipline program, and it works like a charm. I love that we are all on the same page. Each quarter we have an assembly honoring those who achieved 10 or more stickers for each category. The kids, even my 5th graders, work hard for that honor. Good luck!!

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2008

Those were the rules I used last year with my classes. They worked very well for us, and we spent a while talking about what each one meant.

This coming year I'm going to do a social contract with each class. I learned about them at one of my summer trainings and I'm in love with the idea.

15. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 10, 2008

Can you explain what this social contract is?

16. Chas

Chas Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

My school's slogan is "Be Respectful, Be Responsible, and Get a Good Education" (Yes i know how corny the last part sounds! And yes i know the students don't really have any control over that part of the slogan!), so i guess we follow this fairly closely.

There are a lot of items in this thread that i plan to use for my class rules, so thanks for all the contributions!