Reading response activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by leighbball, Aug 11, 2011.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2011

I want to do more with my kids in terms of reading responses this year. They will have a notebook to write me letters about what they are reading, but that won't be something that they do all the time. I want to give the kids choices but make them meaningful and not overwhelm me. Anyone have any ideas to share? :)

3. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 11, 2011

I want to have response journals also this year with my kids. I'm planning on doing back and forth responses between me and them. Each morning they will have time, and I think I'm going to give them a choice:

1. Respond to what I wrote back to you on your last entry
    2. Write about something you really want to share with me (interesting day, problem, the weekend, etc.)
    3. Prompt in case they can't think of anything

4. ShanaNicole

ShanaNicole Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

I just thought about this and think it would be a great idea. I will have them do the writing one day a week so i have an entire week to look at them. I will also give them choices like what you did over the weekend, respond to me, tell me something you want me to know or a prompt.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2011

You don't have to check everything they write. You could randomly check by group, or number, etc.

I, too, want to do more reading response writing this year, but I have to see what levels my kiddos are on first.

You can find some possible prompts here:
    http://pmms.msdpt.k12.in.us/imc/preddy/writing%20prompts.pdf

Let's keep this conversation up - I'm learning, too!

6. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 12, 2011

I'm moving from 2nd to 3rd, so I'm going to try this too! I have the same fears - will I be able to keep up with the grading???? So I think what I'm going to have them do is have a response due every other week. One week will be boys week, next week will be the girls. That way they have lots of time to read in between, and I have lots of time to grade. I don't want to turn their reading into a chore, so hopefully this will help everyone involved! :)