reading homework

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by louisiana, Sep 7, 2008.

1. louisiana

louisiana Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

i'm new to second and a little lost as to what to do. I've been reading on here that you assign anywhere between 15 minutes to 20 minutes reading ssignments. what do u have the students read? I hope this does not make me look bad to you, but I want to do the right things. thanks in advance

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

Do you have the standard reading material for reading class. If you do then it has small stories in them that you can have them pop corn read. When they read a paragraph then they can call on the next student they love this. You should have a reading book for the second grade actually more than one. After you read you can ask questions in the book related to what they have read and if you have this book the questions are at the end of the chapter. Other than that I don't know how to help you. If I knew what materials you had it would make things a little easier to answer questions you may have.

4. louisiana

louisiana Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

well that helps. I needed to know what to assign for reading homework. So I can assign stories from the readinf searies we have now storytown. Thanks

5. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Sep 7, 2008

for reading homework in my class, I have the kids read one chapter book each week, and then respond to it in some way in a journal. It works out pretty well. At the beginning of the year, they read frog and toad or henry and mudge type books, then later they progress to harder books - geronimo stilton and such

6. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

I would give them the vocabulary words to the story to study and maybe wirte once or twice. You can also give them the test questions to study. :)

7. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 7, 2008

I have them take their guided reading books from the previous week home. They are allowed to read those or substitute others if they so choose.

8. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Sep 8, 2008

For my class.....

Monday-take home the reading anthology and read last week's story.
    Tuesday and Wednesday-take home one of the little books that goes with this week's story.
    Thursday-take home the reading anthology and read this week's story.

The above doesn't meet the needs of my struggling readers.
    Monday thru Wednesday-take home books from their reading group.
    Thursday-take home reading anthology and have someone read the story to them.

For the above grade level readers, I do send home chapter books in place of the little books after the first nine weeks.

Hope this helps.

9. grade2rocks

grade2rocks Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

I have a large leveled library of little books. Each day, students sign out one book at their independent level, read to or with someone at home, and have the adult sign on a reading log.

The leveled books were purchased with monies from a reading grant for our school.

10. tchnzfun

tchnzfun Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

Classroom library

I just let my students take a book home from our classroom library. They bring it back the next day and can trade for a new book. If they don't bring it back, they don't take one home. It doesn't matter to me what they take home. Just that they read it. They write the book down on a reading log and record how many pages they have read. The goal is to read 200 pages this month. It will go up every month. Later in the year, I will send them home with different summarizing sheets to go with the reading, but my main goal right now is to get them to love to read!

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 13, 2008

Ideally they read something they're keenly interested in or the love of reading won't develop.