Reading Groups

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by tlf3184, Jul 16, 2015.

1. tlf3184

tlf3184 New Member

Jul 16, 2015

I am a new fifth grade teacher :D and I have just been told we will do reading groups almost everyday. I was planning on having them work together specifically on Tuesdays only so Im having to adjust my thinking and Im having trouble wrapping my head around it. :dizzy:

What do reading groups/activities look like in your classroom??

We will be using Reading Street and I have the leveled texts for them but Im not sure how it will look them getting together almost everyday. Is it just more small group reading lessons than whole group? :anyone:
    Any advice would be appreciated!
    Taylor

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2015

In my experience "reading groups" really refers to guided reading, not groups of students working together on reading. I imagine this is what your school is meaning when they say daily reading groups. You should still be teaching whole group reading lessons, but you will also want to make a schedule for which days you will see each of your leveled reading groups. You don't need to schedule this before school starts, as you'll want to wait until you meet your students and assess them, but you do need to make sure you build in a block of time for this daily guided reading instruction into your regular schedule. You should definitely spend some time this summer reading about guided reading if you aren't already familiar with it. It's time for you to instruct students at their individual reading levels. While they may work together on some things, it's really more about the interaction between you and them, not them working with each other. Students who are not your group will need to have independent activities to work on (see Daily 5 or reading workshop).

4. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jul 16, 2015

When I student taught we did something like this:

1.) Guided Reading Group
    2.) Paired Reading
    3.) SSR

We had them switch after 15-20 minutes. Our groups were also mixed ability. The higher level students were reading a harder book on their on and guiding themselves through it, guidance from me. The guided reading group was where you me every day, and the students got to read on their own and then the students got to pair read. We tried to work it out so that after the guided reading, the kids would read out loud in pairs, then read by themselves.