Reading for your pleasure

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Writer's Block, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Apr 23, 2009

Lately, I have been gravitating toward young adult novels to read for my own pleasure. I teach middle school, so I tend to see what the kids are reading, receive emails about books, hear book talks on YA novels, etc.

Today, the book I am reading was sitting on my desk, and two of my students made a comment about why Mrs. Writer's Block reads what they read! First of all, I was thrilled they even noticed a book :lol:, but then it became known to everyone. A few girls asked me some questions about the book, and I answered them, we got off topic, so I brought it back to our lesson.

Is it weird that I am reading young novels? My students seem to think so, but I think it's a good idea: it might spark a conversation, I am making book suggestions to them (I love when I see one of my students reading a book that I was reading), and a whole bunch of other reasons.

But should I be embarrassed that I am a grown adult and I read young adult novels????:eek::eek::eek:

3. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 23, 2009

I think it is wonderful you care about your students so much that you want to see what they are reading. I don't think that devotion is something to be embarrassed about!

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2009

I truly believe there are some outstanding juvenile fiction books out there. I read them all the time. You couldn't ask for a more poetic and insightful book than "Tuck Everlasting".

5. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Apr 23, 2009

I have joined the same club! I love seeing students reading the same thing--sparks a conversation! I actually really enjoy reading them. I read the twilight series and I some house of night... and a few others. I don't think you should be embarrassed!!

6. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Apr 23, 2009

I read YA books and picture books all the time. Of course, I work in the library! :) But I would still read these books if I were in a classroom. Both to keep in touch with what interests the students and just because it is good literature.

7. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Apr 23, 2009

I also read the YA novels. This helps me give suggestions to my students on what they should read. I just finished The Orphan Train series. Now I am reading The Shadow Children series.

8. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Apr 23, 2009

Could not agree more! Tuck is one of the most beautifully written book! I teach that novel, and it is one of my most favorites to teach all year. How Babbitt got all of the imagery, similes and metaphors in such a short novel is amazing to me. Beautiful!

9. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Apr 23, 2009

Glad I'm not alone in my reading choices!

I am reading The Book Thief right now, and it is amazing! In another class, a "hard to reach" student is reading it too, and all of the sudden, we kinda "clicked." Now we are having discussions about the book. I wish I would have known it earlier...maybe he wouldn't have been so hard to reach!

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 23, 2009

I read YA books and always make sure to read the books that are nominated for the Texas Bluebonnet Awards. The kids read all of the books and vote on their favorites. The books range from easy picture books to novels and all the nominees are great and many end up with other national awards as well.

11. life is good

life is good Rookie

Apr 23, 2009

I always read what my 15 yo daughter is reading. Helps give us something in common to talk about. It has become more difficult to talk to her as she's become a teenager. Reading the same books has lead to some great conversations not only about the book but what is going on her life etc. Also, I tend to really enjoy the books. There is some great YA fiction out there! I also notice more and more adults reading YA books. EVERYONE is reading Twilight!

12. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 23, 2009

I read them too! I have some high readers this year, and I love chatting with them about the books we are reading. It helps them discover new books - and me, too! I had a boy this week recommend a great book he just finished reading, so I traded him one I just finished. It is really rewarding to connect with my students in that way.

13. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2009

I always read YA books. I love them! My kids also like that I can talk to them about the books they are reading. They get excited when I read a book they have recommended.

So, no, it's not weird that you like to read YA books.

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 23, 2009

I think it's a wonderful idea, and you can make honest recommendations for the kids. I've told some of my kids that ____ book was really poorly written and they wouldn't enjoy it, and then I've told them they'd love ____ book. It validates your recommendations. The Bridge to Terabithia comes to mind, it made me sad when I read it, and I tell kids so, some read it just to see how sad it was.

15. melnm

melnm Companion

Apr 23, 2009

I just checked out the Boxcar Children from the library. :) I'm going to read Anne of Green Gables next. I never read the books but watched the movie with my grandparents many years ago and loved it!

16. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 23, 2009

I read a lot of YA fiction. I use to think I should try to read more "adult" books, but I think it's ok to enjoy all books and it's good for your kids to see that. Last year I caught a student reading one of my favorite books Lovely Bones (she was 8th grade, I was a little surprised as that is definitely note YA Fic.), but we talked about it and she really enjoyed it. I think it's a good idea.

17. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Apr 23, 2009

I recently read The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller. I highly recommend it. :thumb: She talks extensively about reading the books the students are reading. They are good books, you need to be able to recommend books geared for the individual student's interests and abilities, and you will become instrumental in getting kids reading when they can trust your recommendations and know that you value what they read.

I've been reading YA voraciously since. My faves so far are Tuck Everlasting (I agree with everyone on this), and for older students Speak.

18. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Apr 23, 2009

I got hooked on the shadow children when the second book came out. So I read the first book almost straight through! Then I read the second one. The next ones hadn't been written yet, so I had to wait and wait for them to be released, but read them as soon as they came out. It was nice to be so enthusaistic about reading again. I think I read WAY too many professional development books. I forget that reading is meant to be entertaining, too!

19. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Apr 23, 2009

You will love Anne of Green Gables! It is a fabulous book. Now the sequel is not nearly as good, but a fun read if you are into the characters. I have read and reread Anne of Green Gables more times than I can count.

20. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 24, 2009

I love reading kids books! My group is generally lower/upper elementary, so it's a lot of picture books and novels. I really enjoyed Inkheart, so I'm doing that book with my grade five student.

21. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Apr 24, 2009

This is a wonderful book.

Personally, I'm working on the Twilight series right now. They are really good and I see a lot of the girls in my building reading them.