Reading data indicates future suceess?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by shoreline02, Nov 13, 2017 at 2:51 PM.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:51 PM

Hello! I am trying to back-up why I use reading data as an indicator of success in other subject areas but I'm having trouble putting it into words.

3. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:10 PM

Well, if you can't read well, you can't do well at math word problems. You also cannot comprehend text well in the content areas. At first we learn to read, and then we read to learn. If you can't read well, you are not learning as much!

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2017 at 6:08 PM

Without going too in-depth, Mshope covers math -- comprehension and exposure to words will help you with math (and science, social studies). In terms of writing though, it goes hand-in-hand with reading for a few reasons. First, as you read, you see examples of well-written text, that allows you to mimic/try out different "devices"/"strategies" and styles, or to understand how paragraphing works, etc... Secondly, by reading, you're developing the vocabulary and syntax you have to pull from, which allows you to be able to improve your word choice and sentence structure to less simplistic bits.

I'll always remember a student mention last year how she found narrative writing so much easier with how much more reading she was doing last year compared to previous years...because she was constantly immersed in examples of skillfully descriptive writing.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:16 PM

It can be very hard to comprehend any textbook content if you cannot read the pages.

Take a text like this one:
    source

This is taken from an online chemistry textbook. There are so many layers to this - being able read the words, being able to understand the vocabulary, and being able to actually make meaning of the content. Something like this would be so much harder to work if one was struggling to read along with trying to learn a new concept.