Reaching students who use R-word

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Camel13, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

Feb 13, 2019

I have several Middle School students who insist on using the R word to essentially say something is “stupid”. I have had talks with these students until I am blue on why it is inappropriate and degrading to those with disabilities. They will argue every point. I feel so defeated in helping them understand why this is wrong. Any videos of impact that might help me inspire understanding?

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Feb 13, 2019

I am so glad you are standing up against the "R" word. I agree with you that it is so offensive to those with disabilities. I hope you find some videos that might help.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Feb 13, 2019

Any support from admin? If so, make that known and bump it up to them. If the students realize that this isn't your personal preferences, but school policy, at the highest levels, you may be able to nip it in the bud. Best of luck.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  5. JimG

JimG Comrade

Feb 14, 2019

6. JimG

JimG Comrade

Feb 14, 2019

In addition, people-first language and mindset is big. “I am a person with autism,” vs. “I am an autistic kid.” People-first language promotes the mindset that we all are people first and our disabilities or shortcomings do not define our worth.

readingrules12 likes this.
  7. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

Feb 17, 2019

If you have talked to them about this multiple times, and they continue to do it anyway, then I would escalate to administration (who I hope would have your back on this issue).

8. N Mar

N Mar Rookie

Feb 18, 2019

When I was in high school, I remember that many students on that campus used a slang word that meant "R". One of the moderate-severe teachers found out about the use of that slang word and was allowed to go on the intercom and lecture the entire student body on why that slang word was inappropriate and disrespectful. The teacher really laid the smackdown on all those jocks, bullies, and mean girls who felt entitled to use the word. Afterwards, the word was never used again. If possible, bring in aspecial education teacher to speak with your class(es). Perhaps a point of view that is different and more personal can persuade them to never use the word again.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  9. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Feb 19, 2019

https://www.sosc.org/r-word

There is a National End the R Word Day on March 6 with a pledge and even an education kit.
    https://www.spreadtheword.global/
    There are plenty of video links related online. A short clip daily can be powerful. Empowering your students to act for change could be the best lesson you could give your students.
    Your site may have a Best Buddies program or you could even get one going.

I'm a special education teacher and there are always opportunities to create change and understanding. Helping with the understanding will create a permanent change.

readingrules12 and vickilyn like this.