Re-thinking career choice because of the CSET

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Sara Collins, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Sara Collins

Sara Collins Rookie

Aug 29, 2017

Guys, I am officially fed up. I just took my 4th shot at subtest 1 and I began crying mid test. I heard there are only 4 versions of each sub test. If this is true, this version was by far my hardest. The first time I took it I scored a 206, second was a 208 and the 3rd was a 213. I walked out of my 4th attempt feeling like I did worse than I've ever done before. I am not working in a classroom and I feel like it puts me at a disadvantage and i'm beginning to just feel like I need to give up. I can't get into a classroom to student teach until I pass my CSET and TPA's 1 & 2 (which I heard is impossible to pass without classroom experience). I am at my wits end.

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 29, 2017

Sorry to hear that. :( Have you looked for CSET test prep courses in your area?

TPAs 1 and 2 should be done during student teaching. They can't be done without access to a classroom. I'm confused about why you'd have to do them before.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 30, 2017

I'm with yellowdaisies: while it's state law that one can't officially student teach without having passed the subject-matter and basic-skills requirements, your program shouldn't be insisting that you have already passed the TPAs before you student teach.

206, 208, and 213 are all clustering pretty close to a passing score. What diagnostics (plus marks and p, k, s) are you seeing on the second page of your score reports?

5. Sara Collins

Sara Collins Rookie

Aug 30, 2017

According to my program, I cannot student teach until I pass TPA 1 & 2 and I do 3 & 4 during student teaching. I'm frustrated because I feel that I can't pass them without experience in a classroom. Also, I have to have my CSET and TPA's 1 & 2 in order to student teach next fall.

As for my diagnostics
    Score 206- Language (+++, Check Mark, K/S) History (++, K, K/S)
    Score 208- Language (+++, P/K, K/S) History (++, K, K)
    Score 212- Language (+++, K/S, K/S) History (++, K, Check Mark)

I know i'm struggling in History which is what I studied all weekend and I worked on my constructed responses, I think I did pretty good on 1 of the Language responses and 1 of the history responses. As for the other 2 I responded to one with a sentences and the other I kinda made up.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 30, 2017

TPA unpacks to "Teaching Performance Assessment." If the program doesn't have some provision BEFORE student teaching for you to be videotaped in front of students you know with lessons that you've planned for those students, the demand that you pass 1 and 2 before student teaching is bogus. Have you doublechecked this with your advisor?

As for CSET I, in fact you've got room for improvement in reading, language & literature as well: the scale for plus marks tops out at ++++. Let me add that what determines passing is not how one does on a specific domain or task, but whether one scrapes together the necessary 220 scaled points overall. Improvement in a domain in which one is already fairly good can do the job.

With the exception of the first language question when you scored 208, you were given a p diagnostic only once: this means that, except there, your answers have largely been on point. Good!

The six s's indicate a need for more support for your answers. In reading, language, & literature that often includes citing excerpts from the literature or data from the student's performance along with the general principles on which one's thinking is founded. In history and social science, it means drawing on information you're given (in the case of a scenario that needs to be labeled) or that you recall (in the case of a label that needs to be explicated), and showing good historical reasoning.

The k's suggest that you're either coming up short in knowledge or not adequately demonstrating the knowledge you've got. The scorers are people who teach the subject matter or who teach people to teach the subject matter; they want to see that you're ready to perform as a fellow professional, and they're looking for professional-sounding responses with a grasp of the subject matter, of the technical terminology, and of the ways that grownups convey their thinking to other grownups. This is part of what distinguishes the "kinda made it up" answer that succeeds from the "kinda made it up" answer that doesn't.

Let me add that these aren't expected to be essays. Bullet lists work just fine where appropriate.

7. Sara Collins

Sara Collins Rookie

Aug 30, 2017

My adviser is the one that told me I must have them passed prior to student teaching. Apparently he is no longer with National and I have a new adviser. I left a message for her this morning to determine what my options are.

For my 4th try at the CSET it seemed to be my most difficult. What I studied was stuff that was on my prior 3 test, NONE of it was on this test so I was completely out of place. For my constructed responses this time I feel that I should at least get 2 check marks. The first test (206) I got a check mark and it was the same question and I feel like I answered it better, with more terminology. The history response was a new question but luckily I had some knowledge on it.

8. Sara Collins

Sara Collins Rookie

Aug 30, 2017

This is the response I got from my new adviser.

Hi Sara,

TPA task 1 and 2 are completed within your core TED credential course work, and do not require classroom experience. Both TPA task 1 and 2 must be passed prior to student teaching

TPA task 3 and 4 are completed within your student teaching experience and include the classroom experience component.

If you have specific questions regarding the TPA requirement, I would recommend that you contact our TPA Coordinator

9. Alyssa20

Alyssa20 New Member

Sep 1, 2017

I heard that you could put in a request ($30) for them to re-evaluate your score. Since you've taken them so many times, and you scored close. I really feel you should look into that.

10. JBrand29

JBrand29 Rookie

Sep 8, 2017

I certainly feel your pain! I had passed section 3 on the first try and came up short with the other 2. I then took them again and got a 213/211 I think, then a 216/218. I was so depressed and wanted to quit also. I took the 2nd one again before the test changed and it was the worst one yet. I even wrote "I know I know this but my mind is blank." I already signed up to take it again. But then a MIRACLE happened! I PASSED! I could not believe it! So I am taking subtest 1 on Monday and I'm for sure less anxious about it, but need to brush up this weekend and hope I pass this time! I'm in National's program also and you do need TPA 1 and 2 to student teach. Good luck! This forum is a great resource and encouragement!!

teachervero and futuremathsprof like this.
  11. Sara Collins

Sara Collins Rookie

Sep 15, 2017

I find out my 4th try at Subtest 1 scores next Friday and i'm panicking. I don't know what i'll do if I fail it again. I however have a feeling I failed it again :( I walked out crying. I took the Subtest 3 this last Monday and I did fairly well on PE and Human Developed but for Visual arts my questions were based mostly on theater and i studied more for music :( I just hope I pass one to give me some encouragement

12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2017

Ignore this advice. You might be able to squeeze a point out on a constructed response, but you aren't going to find 8 missed points.

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2017

What are you studying? Maybe focus on a different medium of materials? If you are reading, switch to videos (or reversed)

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2017

I would also say, wait to see your scores before flipping out. It won't change anything.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 17, 2017

Yes: wait for the score report.

16. Sara Collins

Sara Collins Rookie

Sep 22, 2017

Well I'm officially going backwards and 100% discouraged. I received a 201.
    Multiple choice ++,++
    Constructed Response k, ks, k, check

I don't even know what to do anymore. My brain is fried I have no confidence and I just want to give up

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Sep 22, 2017

What is your degree in? Have you considered pursuing a different profession? I would hate for you to keep spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars to keep retaking the same test over and over again, only to come up short. It seems like it is causing you a lot of stress. Maybe consider a different career? Just a thought...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 11:25 PM
    AlwaysAttend likes this.
  18. Sara Collins

Sara Collins Rookie

Sep 22, 2017

I have thought of a new career choice but I want to work with children. It's always been a dream of mine to teach Kindergarten. I am terrible at test this isn't why I put college off for so long, to avoid test.

I haven't had any luck finding videos on the subject as I'm mostly failing on the history part. There's so much history I don't know what to crack down on

19. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Sep 23, 2017

I am not saying that you can't do it, but you said yourself that maybe you should give up. I was just suggesting that if you don't pass the certification tests after several more attempts then you might want to consider other career options. I know there are people who take the test multiple times before they pass, but your mental health is more important. This really seems to be making you miserable.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  20. Jessica Huston

Jessica Huston New Member

Sep 23, 2017

SO Sara, I am in the same place. I have passed sub section 2 and 3. I have taken sub section 1 two times and yesterday I found out that I didn't pass the second time. I am also going to national. Maybe we could work together and study?

SageScience and futuremathsprof like this.
  21. Sara Collins

Sara Collins Rookie

Sep 25, 2017

I took Subtest 3 but I don't get those results until next Friday. I felt pretty good about the PE and Human Development but mine was mostly Theater for the VA portion and I studied mostly for Music... I'm waiting to take Math and Science until I pass subtest 1 because I am terrible at Math. Where are you located? I'm in Fresno and I just signed up for National's test prep class and there are some good classes in Lemoore I signed up for as well.