RateMyTeachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, May 13, 2017.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 13, 2017

Have any of you ever looked for your name on RateMyTeachers?

I have and I only have one review from a few years ago. It's a really good review, but I'm kind of disappointed I didn't get any more than that, even if some would be bad.

I feel like kids used this site a lot when I was in HS, (though I didn't write any), but it seems most of the reviews are a few years old for most teachers, so I'm thinking kids aren't really using it anymore. (they probably just bad mouth us on SnapChat where it gets deleted soon after, lol)

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 13, 2017

I think it's gone the way of MySpace.

SageScience and Peregrin5 like this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

May 13, 2017

I used to use it to write reviews of my teachers in high school. I will say that the reviews are pretty accurate in my opinion!

a2z likes this.
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 13, 2017

Get over not having reviews on RMT. Kids are pretty much too busy or too self involved to go on a website and write glowing reviews and the bad reviews are kids with an ax to grind. Dont rely on a website for validation.

nstructor and 2ndTimeAround like this.
  6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 13, 2017

I remember this being a bigger thing for college professors. I would sometimes look there if I had a choice between professors for certain classes (or if not, just to see what I was getting into). I don't remember even knowing about it in HS. You can't really pick your teachers in HS, or at least we never could, so it seems kind of pointless for that age group.

Peregrin5 and yellowdaisies like this.
  7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

May 13, 2017

I wrote reviews about a few of my college professors. This was probably 12-13 years ago, though.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 13, 2017

That's a good point. I usually give end of the year surveys too anyway, so I get some feedback from those. Some of it is good and some just have an axe to grind as you said.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 14, 2017

I only used it in college. I've never looked up my name.

10. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Comrade

May 14, 2017

If you google your name, RMT comes up as one of the first things, which is annoying. I've actually had my name taken off before from an old school, but now I have my name up at my current school. Someone goes in and puts your name in, even if no one reviews. I really don't like that it's as easy as just google searching your name.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 14, 2017

Not even in the top ten for me. I'm busy doing other great things that hit first.

nstructor and Peregrin5 like this.
  12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 14, 2017

My name is apparently common and there are several semi-famous people that have it, so I pretty much don't show up on a Google search. An image search though does show my Google+ profile (which I never use, because it's Google+ and no one uses it).

EDIT: Scratch that. Apparently I am now like the top 5 results (linking to a search of my name on Facebook [probably my students trying to look me up], my LinkedIn, my Twitter, and THEN my Google+ page), and the pretty much 90% of the first page of images are of me or my classroom.

Creepy.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  13. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Comrade

May 14, 2017

I have a very uncommon name so that's why. It's also the first thing that comes up in any teacher name search and more commonly when one teaches high school. I am in articles for doing things too like exchanges, it's just RMT always comes up first :)
    Thank goodness they're great reviews! Lol

Peregrin5 likes this.
  14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 15, 2017

I checked. I had a few responses. I looked at my coworkers' ratings and decided that I wouldn't put much faith in any of them after that. Sure, it is nice to read kind words and to consider the not-so-kind ones. But when I see multiple positive posts about a horrible teacher, I remember that a child's perception is just that - a child's perception.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  15. laoshijiejie

laoshijiejie Rookie

May 17, 2017

I don't think I even knew what RateMyTeachers was until I was starting college. I never actually wrote any reviews either. I would just check to see the ratings of different professors before I signed up for their class. I wouldn't feel too disappointed about just one review. I haven't heard of anyone using it years.