Rainbow word wall questions

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jlj, Mar 15, 2009.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Mar 15, 2009

Is this store bought or do you make your own? If I understand correctly the rainbow word wall is for placig the words each child can read. Is this right? Then do you use this instead of or in addition to a word wall (the abcs going across the wall with words under each letter)? Do you put up the rainbow board at the beginning of the year? How often do you add to it? What words do you add, sight words only, color words, number words...?

3. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

Mar 15, 2009

I bought it through http://www.rainbowwords.com/

You could make your own, but for me it was easier to buy it. I took my sight words for the year and divided them into the colors. Each child has their own cloud and as they master the words for a color, they earn a raindrop. When you order it, it comes with a great parent letter, forms that can go home to let parents know what they need to work on and little certificates. It has been a great motivation in my class and the parent responded well to it. I started the year off by making my kids magnets with the words through Vista Print.

One of my co-workers is going to start Reading Racers which is similar.
    http://carlscorner.us.com/ReadingRacers.htm

4. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Mar 17, 2009

Made my own. Used a piece of 9x12 paper for eacher letter. Stapled 26 of said sheets to the wall. On each sheet I put one letter (I used those premade die cut letters). As we learn new words, I put them up on the wall in the correct place. Words that are similarly spelled (i.e. the and they) I put in different colors (also construction paper). I also cut out the word shapes. Its colorful, the kids love it and refer to it for their writing constantly.

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2009

We put up colorful clouds that match the rainbow colors. When the students master a rainbow color, their name goes up on the cloud above the rainbow. Right now all my kids have their name on the purple cloud, most have it on the blue cloud, and 4 or 5 on the green cloud. I like it because before this our kids were only exposed to something like 17 sight words. This exposes them to more, so that the gap between K and 1st grade reading won't be so big.

6. CBean

CBean Rookie

Mar 20, 2009

There is one you can buy online and you add whatever words you're teaching in whatever order you want. The goal is to motivate the kids to learn sight words, and that is often pretty boring or dry. As you introduce new words, they get added to the rainbow (with velcro so you can move them around) and the kids try to learn the words in each color arc. This word wall is more about READING the words and being motivated to learn to read the words on the rainbow. Many teachers who use an abc word wall use both. [​IMG]

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Mar 20, 2009

We use Rainbow Words in our district and I love it! It is a commercially made product that you can purchase at rainbowwords.com. Our entire district uses it in all of our pre-k classrooms, however it does not replace our word walls, we still have our word walls and are required to use them. I use the Rainbow as an organizational tool, you can read more about how I use it on my sight words page. I add 6 words every two weeks to our rainbow in pre-k, it may go more quickly in kinder. We don't start using our rainbow in pre-k until January so it works out for us. We don't use the words that come with the rainbow, we use our own set of words according to our district mandates.

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Mar 20, 2009

Great idea! I made each student a big post card from VP with the Rainbow Words our district uses, you can see pics of the postcard here.

9. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Mar 28, 2009

Vanna, I always love your ideas. I have your website on favorites. :) Do you use both sets 1 and 2? If I teach kindergarten next year I want to use these in the classroom. Also did you buy the extra sets for use in word work area?

10. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Mar 28, 2009

:thanks: No, I didn't buy both sets- didn't even know there was more than one :) I had to make a lot of my own word cards to put on the rainbow because our district doesn't use the same exact words that come with the program. It was super easy and quick to type my words on cardstock, laminate, and put on the rainbow with velcro. I didn't know there were extra sets you could purchase to use in word work, I haven't visited the site lately, maybe they have some new products- I need to go there and check it out :)

11. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 14, 2009

Okay, you have my attention. Tell me more about how this works, please.

12. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 14, 2009

From my Sight Words page:
    Rainbow Words is a unique combination of a sight word motivational tool, an organizational system, and a tracking system all rolled into one. I have a hard time remembering how many and which words each student knows. I use assessment checklists but it is difficult to go around the room and look at the list, then figure out what each student needs to be doing. Rainbow Words is a fantastic solution to this problem. Basically, it's a large rainbow you place on your wall, each color of the rainbow is assigned certain words that stick on the rainbow with Velcro. Their words follow a certain sequence that our district does not so I just re-arranged the words on the rainbow to suit my needs. You don't even have to use their words, you can make your own and stick them on the rainbow. I color coded all of my sight word cards to match the words on the rainbow. Now during word work time each student has their own ring of color coded sight word cards and I know that they are working on the words that they should be. It's also easy enough for the kids to follow too, they always know which color they are working on.

The motivational aspect of Rainbow Words is another great feature. The students start out at the bottom of the rainbow on purple with words like "I". They are highly motivated to move up the rainbow to the next level and so on. Each time they reach their goal and learn all the words of one color they get a certificate of achievement in that matching color. There is also a cloud and raindrop bulletin board motivational system you can create. Their website is rainbowwords.com

All of our pre-k teachers use the Rainbow Words system and some of our kindergarten classes are starting to use it too. One teacher decided she liked the rainbow but didn't want the same thing as pre-k so she created a similar version using a football field, certain words were assigned to each part of the field and when they learn all of their words assigned to each part (sorry, I'm not familiar with how football works so forgive my poor explanation) they receive a "touchdown" football certificate.

13. little317

little317 Groupie

Jun 14, 2009

Oh, you just inspired me to use my large rocket ship in a whole new way. I've got a rocket ship with different levels that I've used for my behavior chart. I can have certain words in each level and the kids can earn certificates for passing to each level of the ship. And when they can read all they can soar to the moon. So cool! Thanks :)

14. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 14, 2009

Thank you, this sounds like a great way to teach sight words.

15. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jun 14, 2009

Okay, for kinder, you use the rainbow words wall for sight/high frequency words and have a separate Word Wall board (words under letters) for what words? children's names, color words, theme/seasonal words, etc? You don't put the same words on both boards, right? Also, what about word families? are they on your word wall or do you display those separately? I did have a word wall where I posted all words as introduced and I have a word families poster displayed under the word wall board. I would like to use both the rainbow words board and the word wall the new sch. year.

16. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 15, 2009

Hi: I can only speak for what we do in my district, others may do it differently, but our rainbow is not supposed to replace the word wall. Every sight word we place on the rainbow also has to be on the word wall. The rainbow is an organizational and tracking tool for sight words only, the word wall is a district expectation and a best practice so we can't replace it. The word wall serves a whole other purpose than the rainbow. All of our sight words go on the word wall above the letter they start with and all the student's names, environmental print, and vocabulary go below the letter. One word per word chunk (family) can also go on the word wall. Each word chunk can have it's own separate word chunk chart/poster where all the words are listed. Here's a link to the word wall page on my website. This link will take you to our official district page on word walls. I hope that's clearer than mud :)

17. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 15, 2009

That's a great idea! Are you located near the space center? What a great connection for the kids to make!

18. little317

little317 Groupie

Jun 15, 2009

Vanna,
    Well, the Kenneday Space Center is an 1 1/2 hours away...so a good excuse for a day out! Its been a few years since I've gone. I'd like to make a trip out there this summer. This time though I need to have a set appointment with the Education Center so they can help me with finding appropriate resources.

19. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jun 17, 2009

Much clearer Vanna! :D Thanks Vanna and everyone!!

20. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jun 17, 2009

oh I love that! I am going to totally make a rainbow word wall, thanks!!