Racism in the classroom

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherWhoRuns, Sep 23, 2018.

1. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Sep 23, 2018

I picked up a sub job at a district where I'm not contracted because we had a day off for Yom Kippur and they were in session. The aide in the classroom made racist comments about a student. I was astounded. I've never heard a school employee outright do that, especially in front of a stranger, which is what I am because I'd never met her before. Who DOES that?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  3. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Sep 23, 2018

That is completely unacceptable. I highly suggest reporting the teacher aide and/or documenting the situation. You may want to confront the offending individual and discuss the problematic behavior. However, you also may want to go up the chain of command.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Sep 23, 2018

Simply disgraceful behavior. That would not stand at my school and the offending party would be brought before the site admin very quickly and an investigation would be launched.

Now, make sure that you document what was exactly said and not what you *interpreted* as being racist. I say this because I’ve witnessed a situation where a colleague of mine was accused of a racist act and I proved he did nothing of the sort. The student in question was just upset with him and made up a story and claimed he was racist. I’m not saying you are going to do this, but definitely document what was said and then elevate this to the appropriate staff.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  5. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Sep 23, 2018

I think my first question would be what did the person actually say? (Not that you have to share it online). But for me to assess what I would consider a next step I would need to know more than someone made a racist (or sexist or homophobic, etc) comment.

Backroads likes this.
  6. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Sep 23, 2018

This was not a case of interpreting or misinterpreting. This was a common slur nickname for Asians and a comment about the shape of a student's eyes. You couldn't miss it.
    Documenting or reporting will come to nothing from a sub. I've been a contracted teacher too long to know whose side of the story will hold up. If it was at my school or district where my word held some weight, I wouldn't hesitate. This is a place where I'm an outsider, I come and go for a day now and then for extra cash. Subs are seen as the lowest form of life and pretty much assumed to not know what they're doing.
    When I arrived, the aide was yelling at the teacher for something that had happened the day before. I got the impression the aide believed she was in charge and has a lot of complaints about how things are done. The student she made the comment about was the same race as the teacher. I got the impression it will all come to a head soon enough, with or without me.

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Sep 23, 2018

Understood. I, too, hope that something will result from this in the form of disciplinary action against your colleague.

8. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Sep 23, 2018

Well I would say not reporting it would be a dereliction of duty. If I felt a district I worked for on and off wouldn't address it, I'd stop working for them. Continuing to work for them and not reporting it because you believe nothing will come of it, in my view, makes the person failing to report it complicit.

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 23, 2018

I would shoot a quick email to admin and let them know what happened. I know this situation is a bit tough, though, since you only work there a few times per year.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 28, 2018

I agree that substitutes are considered the low-leveled people on the totem pole. I'd still shoot an email like YoungTeacherGuy said. So when you arrived, the actual teacher was still there for a bit before she left since you were subbing for her. Woah and she's Asian too like the student the aide said the slur to, horrible? That aid seems to run over that teacher. Hopefully, the teacher is strong-willed and doesn't back down with this and isn't one of those soft, meek, quiet docile-type Asians that society thinks Asians are, but from how you described the aide arguing with her, I don't know... That, unfortunately, seems to be another Asian stereotype. :mad: