Questions about my resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Unetheladyteacher, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Jul 11, 2018

New user here hoping for some advice after a very long year!

I very recently resigned from an ESL teaching position I had in the US for the last three years because I felt that I was going to get fired. Turns out I was right and the district said they would have fired me had I not resigned due to a poor evaluation.

I have been in some sort of teaching capacity since 2011, so for about seven years. I have almost four years of full-time teaching experience as an ESL teacher and three years of teaching experience as a substitute teacher. My full-time teaching experience includes work at four different schools: two schools overseas for about eight months, one school in New York state for a leave replacement position, and one in another part of the state for almost three years. Most of the schools I have worked at, except for the ones overseas, were high needs Title I schools with very diverse student populations. My most recent school was a public school, but because it was near a military base with no school on base, I taught mostly students from the military base. It is not a military school, so I have not taught at a military school.

I have applied to some jobs and have not heard back. I have a master's degree in English teaching with an add-on certificate for ESL. I am permanently certified to teach K-12 ESL, 5-9 English, and 7-12 English in NY. I am bilingual (Farsi/English) with a passing knowledge of French and enough knowledge of Spanish that I can understand what people say (for the most part). I cannot be a Spanish translator or do anything other than casually communicate with Spanish-speaking families.

I have run ESL program information nights for parents, planned and ran several multicultural fairs at my last job, ran the ESL table at my last school's math and literacy night every year, and even ran a multicultural fashion show as part of my last job's multicultural fair. I have a strong background in linguistics and spoke two languages growing up (I grew up in a house with ESL speakers and had many family friends who were immigrants and ESL speakers). I also know a lot about technology and was often the go-to teacher at my last school when it came to creating presentations, getting technology help, or doing anything on the computer.

My question is this: should I leave anything out of my resume, and is my resume raising any red flags? I have applied to a few jobs and have not heard back. I also only worked at one of the schools I taught at overseas for three months, because I got badly injured in a car accident, couldn't walk for a few months, and had to quit because I could not perform job duties, even with accommodations. Should I leave that job off my resume, and if so, how should I explain that short gap in my resume? Is there anything I can say in my cover letter to help me stand out?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2018
  3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2018

Welcome to A to Z, Unetheladyteacher. My sympathies on your difficult year.

Your threads have been merged because A to Z Forums policy strongly discourages multiple threads in multiple forums at the same time on the same topic by the same member: the site owner's rationale is that spreading a discussion that way dilutes it.

(Forum veterans tend not to go forum by forum when we search for new threads and posts. Instead, we use one of the Latest Posts links at the very top of the page to bring up a list of threads launched or posted in since we last signed in.)

Your background sounds promising, from what you've said here. Whether your resume raises red flags is harder to say without seeing it, though my first thought about the gap in your employment is that it's unlikely to be worse for you to have had to leave a job on account of that accident than not to have held the job before the accident.

It's possible that your cover letter isn't fully effective for you. Do bear in mind that the cover letter's function is not to summarize your work history but rather to interest a potential hirer in reading your resume to find out more about you.

Unetheladyteacher likes this.
  4. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Jul 12, 2018

I didn't realize I had my post in two places. I tried to look for the first post after I made it and couldn't find it, so I re-wrote it and posted it again.

I realized that my cover letter needs work and have been rewriting it. A lot of it was pulled from my resume, and nobody wants to read the same thing twice. I am a very interesting educator with a lot to offer, and I should be proud to show that off. Thanks for the feedback, TeacherGroupie.