Questions about English Subtest III

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Joseph112, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Joseph112

Joseph112 Rookie

Jun 14, 2017

The format. When taking the test, do I have to switch back and forth between the writing box and prompts (literary works) or can I just scroll him to re-read the text as I am typing? Also, do you recommend taking down notes as I read through the works to make a little outline with such short time? M R S D T F I R S T?

3. CallMeIshmael

CallMeIshmael Rookie

Jun 30, 2017

@Joseph112 - When taking the computer-based test, you will be able to see the text side-by-side with your typed response. As per taking down notes, I do recommend writing down your ideas. You will have an erasable note-taking booklet with plenty of space to write. I recall using mine to jot down which sentences I wanted to use for evidence and my main idea, so I didn't have to continue scrolling up to my introductory paragraphs.

Keep in mind you will have to write two essays during Subtest III; I recommend looking over each prompt and getting some ideas down right off the bat - get your initial reaction/response jotted down! You may even switch between essays if you feel yourself getting stuck or burned out writing one or the other.

Best of luck! You've got this!! :)

4. Joseph112

Joseph112 Rookie

Jun 30, 2017

@CallMeIshmael Thank you so much. I was worried about if I needed to switch back and forth, wasting valuable time. Also, what kind of literary texts would I have to work with? I am worried that it will be material that I never read.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 30, 2017

The scorers hope that every test taker is unfamiliar with the passages, Joseph112: they want to see what a candidate can do reading the passages cold and responding under time pressure. This probably sounds like bad news to you right now, but it's actually good news: you don't have to pick up on exactly the same things as some other test taker as long as (a) what you discuss IS in the text, (b) you support its existence with appropriate examples, and (c) you show ability to handle the analytical tools of English literature or of composition and rhetoric.

Breathe, please.