question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Covar, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Covar

Covar Guest

Jun 30, 2004

Hello! I am new to the site, and I was very encouraged as I read through some of the forum, and saw how helpful and informative everyone seems to be!
    I am not a teacher yet, but I hope to be one soon. I am actually just starting my first year of college, and am deciding seriously about my major. I would like to teach as an elementary school teacher, hopefully for the first grade.
    I know teaching is a very rewarding career, but if anyone has anything to say about it that would be great! Is it hard to become a teacher, and are there a lot of job opportunities at the moment? What are the leading characteristics and requirements expected of a teacher? Anything would be of great help!
    Thank you!

Sincerely,

Rachel

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 30, 2004

It is not very difficult to become a teacher assuming that your school has a good program and that you are serious about the career. Depending on your school and the state you live in there will be different requirements, but nothing you won't be able to handle if you're determined. The availability of teaching positions will also vary depending on where you live. I know that at my school, education is not an easy major because we also need to have a second major and need to fullfill all of the school's general requirements as well as the other majors requirements before getting into the majority of our education classes which makes it pretty much impossible graduate with a BSE in 4 years (I'm going into my 5th). It requires a lot of time and energy both during college and afterwards, but like I said, if you're serious about it its all well worth it.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 30, 2004

I think that a very important consideration has to do with the work environment after getting your degree. Are you sure that you want to spend your days working primarily with children? Some people are very content in this setting, some have a need to work with co-workers or need to work independently and alone. Teachers do get together for meetings and such, but more hours are spent alone with children. Practice working at a camp, volunteer to work with kids, etc., to be sure of the age you prefer. Also, I guess it's obvious, but good teachers must be good communicators. Good luck!

5. dalia

dalia Guest

Jun 30, 2004

Hi, I will be starting my very first teaching job in August, I will be teaching a 2nd grade biligual class. I finished school in 3 1/2 years but I took summer classes and intersession classes. It was time consuming but I believe that teaching is like becoming a "nun" per se, it is not just a career choice I think it has to do alot with having a "calling". You really should know that this is what you really want to be. In Texas you have to take all your require course work and take 2-3 state exams to be certified. It really depends on your state and the program your university has. Good luck on your decision.

6. Covar

Covar Guest

Jun 30, 2004

Yeah, I think that it is very important to have a passion for this field. All last year, I was a teacher assistant for two fourth grade classes, and that really gave me a good idea of what teaching can be like. And thank you for the good advice!

7. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 1, 2004

I just finished my BA in May, and in September will begin student teaching to finish up my credential. Becoming a teacher can be a lot of hard work, here in California, it seems like they are constantly adding more hoops for us to jump through, and most of the people I know who just graduated and are about to begin student teaching, are pretty worn down by the whole process of getting our degree and credential, but that is jut because we are restless and ready to be "real" teachers. I am sure it will all be worth it when we are finally there, but being in school for so long to get your credential can definitely be trying. I would definitely encourage you to stick with it though, if you feel in your heart it is what you want to do.

8. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Jul 1, 2004

It's great to have you here! I thought it was mostly easy to get my job because there was an opening right away and they were practically begging for teachers. Now, they are getting rid of more and more teachers so I'm not sure how many openigns there will be-it all depends on your community. Right now in our school district, were running extremely low on money in the school's systems and so they're dropping alot of teachers. However, being a teacher is a GREAT experience and I guarentee you will have an AWSOME time!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~Tara