Question...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Christine3, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jun 7, 2007

Today I was helping some of my students with speech after school, but we had to relocate because they were doing exams in my room.

We were in an 8th grade clinic room...and it amazed me how one student was texting and her phone was going off. I felt bad b/c the teacher asked her twice and it still was making sounds...

Do you all have this issue at your clinics??

3. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jun 7, 2007

Phones

Our district has a strict policy on students with cell phones. If we see the phone, we take it and turn it in to the office and a parent has to come pick it up (the first time). If it is taken again, they have to wait until the end of the school year. Given this policy, I have not had any problems and only confiscated one cell phone all school year.

4. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 7, 2007

In the district I sub for the phone goes straight to the office and its a $25 dollar "fee" to get it back. When I subbed I had a few issues with cell phones and I always said "If I see it, I have to take it up.. so don't let me see it" and usually they put it up and leave it alone. One occasion though, I had a tough class and *something* went off (it could have been an ipod or PSP) and I said "I don't want to hear that again" and 20min later it happened again and when I lost my temper and said "THATS IT! If I hear that thing ONE more time, I am taking up every cell phone, camera, ipod and PSP in this room" and by god, nothing else went off =o)

I am shocked that the teacher even allowed that. I would have taken it up the 2nd time it made a noise, no questions asked.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2007

Nope. Your phone is to be off and in your locker. If you're going to use it, it's after school and in one of the courtyards.

Failure to comply is 5 demerits.

6. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Jun 7, 2007

My school's policy is to confiscate the phone and turn it in to the office. Usually I just tell the student to turn the phone off in front of me and then put in it a backpack/purse. However, if I have time to spare I'll do something "funny" with it. For instance one time a student's phone went off and I told her to give it to me and I picked it up and it was her friend and I had a conversation with her. Well that student's phone never went off again, because of embarrassment of because she just by coincidence I don't know.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2007

One time a student in my husband's class had his go off. (Different school; same policy.)

When Peter requested, the boy handed the ringing phone over.

Peter had a lovely chat with the boy's grandmother, including a mention that Tommy couldn't come to the phone at the moment, as he was in English class.

Phone ringing in class?? Five demerits. Having a nice chat with grandma in front of Tommy's friends? Priceless.

8. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jun 7, 2007

I LOVE IT! lol This girl had a sidekick( I don't know if your familiar with them) but she just pulls it out like she owns the room. I felt like stepping in but hesitated. Maybe I should have? It was wrong. The teacher just said No texting at clinic and when she did it again...the teacher said Put it away...to me that wasn't enough... do you know what I am saying?

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2007

Sure I do.

You're saying that actions SHOULD have consequences!

10. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jun 7, 2007

You said it! ;)

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 7, 2007

It took most of the year to convince one of our speech teachers that it is not only OKAY to give consequences but it is actually harmful not to. A group of our boys in particular are very immature and are still learning independence skills. Consistency and follow through are important to help them stay on track and grow. She kept saying that she didn't want them to hate speech (very common in deaf world) and she only had them for a short period of time. I kept trying to explain that she would get a lot more done with them if they were made to stay on task and they would respect her more if they knew she meant business. Then the fun lessons themselves will actually be more enjoyable because they are attending to it. I've noticed several specials teachers that feel like they can't be too tough because of the nature of their type of class. I think that does a diservice to the students.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

Cell phones and iPods are allowed on our campus but technically not in our classrooms. Most students respect this policy and don't use their phones in class, but there's always a handful who feel like they need to push the limits... Ugh. In one of my classes last year I had to confiscate about 10 cell phones and PSPs during the year. Our policy is that confiscated items are to be turned in to the deans' office (deans are the administrators who deal primarily with discipline), and the parents have to pick up the item.

What gets me is the students who think that I won't notice them texting during class when they hide the phone behind the backpack on their desk. Or that I won't see the phone under their desk top. Um... hello... your cell phone glows. Blue. Of course I can see it.