Question: HW over Christmas break

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ninabway, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jan 5, 2013

We only have a week and a half (not 3 weeks), but we're not allowed to assign work over break unless it's just working on a long-term project (which can't be due until the week after we get back).

I would have been ticked if I had to read a whole book for break in middle school---seems excessive.

I would consider assigning something only as extra credit or as an optional assignment that could help the student's grades.

2. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jan 5, 2013

I assign a chapter of reading for my AP history class, but I do so because we have such a tremendous amount of material to cover prior to the AP exam, it's hard to get everything in. I didn't assign any essays and writing with the chapter... just reading and a quiz to follow. But nothing was assigned for any of my regular level courses.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 6, 2013

I gave two assignments before the break. One was to start a review packet for our final exam. I told the students that it would make their lives easier if they started answering the questions during the break but at the least I wanted them to just read it so their brains could be mulling over the ideas. Most of the kids read the packet that day (took five minutes) and that was that.

The second assignment was given early. I told the students they did not have to start it because it wasn't due until two days after we returned. But some students like to go above and beyond and some students get bored during breaks so I gave them the option. About half of the students waited until our first day back. About a third of the students did not submit the project on Friday :(.

4. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jan 7, 2013

No way. The kids need a break and so do I. :D

5. DallasLady

DallasLady Rookie

Jan 10, 2013

Our semester ends at the break, they take final right before. We are not allowed to give homework over the break unless the duet date is beyond the first day back. Personally, I would not assign work over the break anyway. I don't want to do any work over Christmas break, so I wouldn't make the students do any either.

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2013

In our 4K-12 school, we decided as a faculty to give an optional reading assignments over break. We have done it for 8 or 10 years. It is very well received. Second grade has the option to read a Ready Freddy Christams book. They can read to self or have it read to them. This year I had 13 or my 16 students complete the assignment. My 3rd grade sons read Magic Treehouse Christmas in Camelot and my 5th grader read about 3/4 of Where the Sidewalk Ends. Some levels choose nonfiction.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jan 11, 2013

Exactly! We have a policy that no homework can be assigned over Christmas break. Most K-8 schools that I know of have the same policy. Find out what the district or school policy is before proceeding with this parent.

By the way, since you brought up the book Hatchet, we are reading it now and the students are enjoying it. It is a great book!:)