Question from a 3rd grade teacher...

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by janis, Sep 24, 2013.

1. janis

janis Companion

Sep 24, 2013

As a third grade teacher, I've noticed that most incoming students have not had very through teaching in math and science, and that they've been predominantly taught in reading and phonics. While I know that reading skills are vital, being the very foundation that all other subjects are built upon, I'm curious to know if this is the case in your 2nd grade classroom. They know their basic skills in math, but very little problem solving and almost no prior knowledge of science vocabulary. Just curious. Please share your classroom practices if you have a minute.
    :confused:

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Sep 24, 2013

I can see that. Reading has been such an emphasis over the past decade with federal programs and intervention development, and I think math has taken a back seat in that respect. I also think computation is given such an emphasis in primary (historically) with problem-solving and application taking a back seat. Same with science - I see less emphasis on "scientific thinking" and more on just learning some facts. For that matter, I think the same is true with social studies. I think this is one reason why CCSS has been a jolt for some folks is that it has required more in those departments.

4. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Sep 25, 2013

I teach math for 90 minutes minimum each day. The rest of the day is spent on Lang. Arts with science and social studies integrated into the informational text standards.
    Of the 90 minutes of math, I spend maybe 5-10 minutes on computation. I am using the word computation meaning memorization of the basic facts. The rest of the time is problem solving, number sense, and application.

5. janis

janis Companion

Sep 27, 2013

90 minutes! Wow! That's pretty impressive. We have a mandatory 90 minute reading block so it's difficult to do much else for long periods of time. In what state do you teach?

6. frogger

frogger Devotee

Oct 6, 2013

No, not in my classroom. I focus on problem solving skills in Math all year long.I encourage them to think out the problems, to tell me how they got their answer and to explain their thinking. I also introduce science vocab when teaching each of the standards. Whether the class is actually retaining the information, well that's another question...:whistle:

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2013

We do science 2 marking periods and social studies 2 marking periods. We have 75 minutes of math a day, 60 mins of reading, and 60 mins of writing.

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Oct 14, 2013

I teach Reading/Language Arts 2 1/2 hours a day; Math 1 hour a day; and Science once or twice a week for a half hour. Pretty much sums it up.